Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What a Day for a Workout!



Track Workout - 400s
4.1 miles
30 minutes
7:16 average pace
161 average bpm
191 max bpm

The Workout:
10 minute warm up
6- 400s w/ a 400 meter RI
Cool down.

How it went:
1.2 mile warm up
Splits: 1:26, 1:24, 1:22, 1:26, 1:27, 1:20ish
My watch started late on this last one but it was my fastest pace of the day.
Cool down (8:23 pace)

I jogged between each one except between splits 5 and 6, where I walked the rest interval. I felt great and wanted to do more but I just ran a race the day before and have another one on Saturday. I know, I race too much, I do! I just love it so much :)

Since I still had some energy left I decided to hit the gym and do some weights for the first time by myself. I was a little nervous because it was 5:45 (prime meat head time, you know) but I am really trying to over come this fear. It was either then or 5:45 the next morning so I decided to give it a shot. If I felt uncomfortable I told myself I could leave.

I ended up staying about a half an hour. I started with a chest press, 3 reps each of 2 different exercises. The first one I did looked like this, with my hands facing down. I used 50 lbs and did 2 reps of 10 and 1 rep of 8 (the last one).


Then the machine I was using had handles that were vertical so I did 3 more sets with my hands facing each other. This exercise was more difficult for me because it used more shoulders and so I used 35 pounds. Again I did 2 sets of 10 and the last one of 8.

Next I moved on to biceps. I love the bicep machine because you can lift so much more than you can by lifting free weights. I did 3 sets with 30 pounds of about 8 reps each. It was pretty hard! I think I needed to adjust the height of the machine a little better. I am going to explore some other bicep curl machines next time but it was something like this:


Next I went to work on my back with the lateral pull down machine. I like this machine and did 3 sets of 10 reps each with 45 pounds of lat pulls downs. I had to stand on my toes to reach the bar, but oh well! The machine was very similar to this:


I had plans to do other back exercises, shoulders and triceps but I started to become self conscious so I decided I did enough for the day. I know I could have done more but the gym was so crowded and I was getting overwhelmed. I am easing myself into this little by little. I rewarded myself with a very berry smoothie from the cafe and was on my way.

3 comments:

Elle said...

Look at you girl... working so hard! Way to go!

And what a busy race schedule you have! We're heading to Utah and Wyoming this weekend, so I'm looking forward to doing some high altitude training... I'm also looking forward to running in 60 degree weather instead of this 95 degree weather we've been having around here!

All Things Jaime said...

Gym and speed work! NICE JOB, girl!! I love 400's - they're definitely my favorite!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a crazy schedule! My gym was super busy today too and sometimes I find that makes me more flustered. Awesome workout though!