
While I was waiting outside the Pilates studio, I had a nice view of the weight room section of the gym. I joined my gym last July and since then I have attended a ton of group fitness classes, but have yet to use a single machine. Literally. I never use the treadmills because I run outside and I used an elliptical one time when I brought a friend with me to visit the gym. I am terrified of the weight machines...not a good thing since I am studying to become a personal trainer. I much prefer group fitness classes. The funny thing is I actually know how to use many of the machines. I read so much about this stuff and have no problem working out in the privacy of my own home, but when it comes to the crowded weight room, I panic!
I'm sure I am not alone in this. I can't tell you the number of times I have heard people say they have to lose weight before they can join a gym. Or dress up and put make up on. Trust me, I find myself doing this too. I like to look nice but it is a bit silly. My goal for the next couple of months is to develop a fitness routine that I can do on my own. I don't want to be restricted to working out on days when certain classes are offered. I don't want to have to take a class designed by the instructor for what she wants to work on. I want to feel more comfortable doing the workout I want to do. I don't know why I feel so insecure about workout out in the gym. I mean, hellooooo, that is what the gym is there for! I know how to do the exercises, I know what I want to do, I just have to not worry about what else is going on there and do it. Whew...thanks for listening :)
Okay onto something I am less insecure about...
Running. Today my dad and I planned to go to the track but it was being used to the speed work got pushed until tomorrow. We ended up doing a quick(er) 3 miler with negative splits. Here's how it turned out:
3.1 miles
24:56
8:01 average pace
Splits: 8:22, 8:21, 7:13
6 comments:
I used to feel intimidated by the weight room! Now I don't go to the gym, period. I don't like it. I do a pilates tape (Winsor's) and I have strength exercises that I do 2-3 times a week. The I run, bike and swim!
I agree that the weights area is a little intimidating. I tend to wonder, "who is watching me?" "are they analyzing my workout?" "do they think I'm using incorrect form?"
Nonetheless, I do still workout in the lifting area. Once you do it for the first time, you will start to feel more comfortable.
Hmmm...I think the trick is to age a bit like me--then you care less about that kind of stuff!
I used to get that way at the gym, too! Wait, I still do. I like to work out at lunch or when it's not crowded. Kind of intimadating, either way!
Great three miler!!
I agree with you... and there are so many meat heads who work out at my gym that it's intimidating... I hate using machines and would much rather use the free weights... my lifetime has two sections of free weights a sort of girlie section where the weights are all colored and plastic coated (over by where they keep the bosu balls and mats), and then they have the masculine weight section where the heavier weights are, and all the weights are stainless steel and iron, and have those grippy grids on them... so I just started using the girlie section, even though a whole row of treadmills faces it, so all the people on the treadmills watch you... but so many people do such stupid stuff at the gym, that I sort of figure I can't be the only one who looks weird (I do sometimes worry about showing too much cleavage... or showing my bum on a deep squat or lunge... but I'm hyper sensitive about that kind of stuff anyway)...
You're so fit, and cute girl that I'm sure most of the people at the gym will see you work out and think to themselves that they wished they were you... :)
wow great run!! Happy Friday and have a great weekend!
Post a Comment