
Warning: Elle, you may be the only one who appreciates this post :)
No I am not changing my name :) In addition to reading lots of running and health and fitness blogs, I also read a lot of fashion blogs! (**Some of my favs include: Completely Preppy and A Day in the Life**)
Well, before I became a teacher, I used to work in the fashion industry. Every girl's dream, right? For me, not so much, but I had to learn the hard way. Senior year of college, I got sucked into the excitement of the post-graduation job search. I tend to be a little competitive and when I put my mind to something, I go out and get it. The job search was no different and while all my friends had aspirations of working in the music industry, PR, advertising, etc. and hitting it big in NYC, I had originally chosen to become a school teacher. Not to be outdone, I decided I was going to work in fashion. Not retail fashion, but fashion-fashion. You know the corporate world a la The Devil Wears Prada and all that. Originally my goal was not all that far off base. I was an English Major (with an Education minor) and while I had wanted to teach elementary school I also always desired to write. I aimed to score myself a job with a fashion magazine. Well, those jobs are hard to get and that obviously didn't happen. I did, however, somehow manage to score myself a full time permanent position in the corporate offices of JCrew. (**If anyone is interested in how exactly that happened feel free to email me. Young girls from my sorority email me all the time about the process- I am happy to share. It is a long and boring story if you have no interest, however!**)
I considered myself very lucky as almost all of my friends who graduated the same time as I did were still job hunting unsuccessfully! However, the glitz and glamour wore off quickly. I worked very hard, something I was not used to doing my last semester of college. I honestly think I wasn't ready for the job. It wasn't even that the work was difficult (I worked in production, basically, dealing with pricing the clothes and working with the buyers to finalize lines, thus moving them into production) but it wasn't as exciting or creative as I thought it would be. The days were also very loooong and I still lived at my parents home in New Jersey. I had an 1 1/2 commute into Manhattan each way everyday, adding 3 hours to my already 10-12 hour day. I was burnt out and while all my friends were celebrating graduation and spending the summer at the (Jersey) shore, I was working. When I wasn't working I was sleeping because I was so tired. My boss was also a nightmare; I was terrified of her and she was very difficult to please.
The benefits were amazing...discounts, summer hours, model fittings and shoots, but ultimately I could not handle the pressure. I decided corporate America was not for me and after about 6 months of trying, I finally resigned. I knew I was not cut out for the fashion industry and went back to teaching. Of course, by this point it was mid year and I literally cut my salary in half to work as an assistant in a special ed classroom. Yes, I went from making clothes to taking kids to the bathroom but I was happy. I went from working from 9am to 8pm to working 8-3. I finally had time to run and take care of my body. Running is what keeps me sane and I was NOT sane at this job.
I never regretted my decision to leave fashion, although plenty of people think I am completely crazy, and thats fine :) I had wanted to be a teacher my whole life and I know teaching is what I am meant to do. I often consider myself lucky that I get to do what I said I have always wanted to do. I am a better person than I would have been. I am more compassionate, fitter, healthier, and most importantly happier. I have more time to spend with the people I love and really that is what is important in life.

Thank you for listening to my story. This decision was a big part of where I am now and something I felt was important to share.
How/when did you decide what you wanted to do with your life? Did it match what you always said you wanted to do?
7 comments:
My husband is a teacher, and I know the hard work that goes into the job, but also how fulfilling it is. Money does not buy happiness, and stress can damage your health. I chose my career by chance; it was not something that I knew I wanted since I was a kid. It sounded interesting at the time, and it still is interesting and keeps me learning every day.
Glad to hear that you are doing what you love and what you are passionate about. Working long hours is not what life is about and I really feel bad for the people who slave away all day.
I decided what I wanted to do with my life halfway through my freshman year of college when I found out about Johnson & Johnson's IT Leadership Development Program. I set out from that moment forward to get into it. It did not match what I always said I wanted to do. From 4th grade through the first month of college I wanted to be an orthodontist but after realizing that I disliked science, I quickly started looking for something else.
What an interesting story! I'm sure being a Special Education teacher is no less work! But at least you are getting up every day and directly changing the world. You're in a noble profession.
Thanks for sharing more about yourself, it is a great story. I am glad you are doing what makes you happy, versus what makes you rich. I always tell my children to do what makes them happy, and money will come if you do it well. Bravo!
I love stories of how people follow their passion despite where their career life was leading them. Call me crazy, but that sounds like a dream career to me, although I have always gravitated toward teaching as well. I know what the leap of faith feels like to stop with the safety of a good job to follow your heart. Good for you!
I love you story! So funny...I'm a fashion nut too! I swear. Crazy. I've always said I wanted to do exactly what you did but I've heard of fashion industry nightmares....I've thought of trying to get a job in the financial aspect of the fashion industry but I don't know! I'm close to Philly and I'm not totally sure what that will leave me with to do but who knows! I'm so glad you're happy now though : )
Wow, I love your story! I too was swept into the glitzy fashion industry right out of college, and just left my position with a prominent West Coast retailer about 2 weeks ago. I knew awhile ago this wasnt for me, but I now realize how unhappy I was. People think I am crazy, but I too was not meant for the large corporate culture or fashion itself. Your story is very inspiring!! :)
Post a Comment