And neither did my dad! Both of us got rejected the past 3 years in a row. This means that next year we are automatically in.
For now, I have my sights set Steamtown (located in Scranton, PA) for a fall marathon. It was ranked by Runner's World as "one of the ten fastest marathons in the US." Sounds good to me! I would love to do Philly again but it is so late in the season that last year Boston was already sold out, causing lots of people who qualified in Philly to have to wait until 2011 to run Boston. I do not want that to be me. The other good thing is that if I did get into NY, it is such a large and crowded race, I probably wouldn't have been able to BQ anyway AND it is such an scenic race, I would rather enjoy it and run with my dad rather than attempting to qualify. Soooo, next year New York!
Steamtown
From the website:
Top 26 Reasons to Run The Steamtown Marathon:
-
Organized by runners, for runners.
-
USATF-certified point-to-point course.
-
Ranked as one of the fastest official Boston Marathon qualifying courses!
-
955’ net elevation drop – run your PR here!
-
Champion Chip timing and scoring.
-
Lots of witty pre-race e-mails to keep you informed and entertained.
-
Quality wicking t-shirt to all entrants.
-
Affordably priced pre-race pasta party.
-
Free bus transportation to the starting line in Forest City, PA.
-
Incredible welcome at the starting line by the Forest City High School students and cheerleaders.
-
Stretch inside large, warm gymnasium at the starting line.
-
50 port-a-lavs at the start area – little to no waiting!
-
Well-organized baggage collection and retrieval system.
-
Race day support from 3,000 volunteers.
-
Area bike clubs patrol course to ensure your safety.
-
At least 13 aid stations on the course featuring water and All Sport.
-
The course includes 2.2 miles of beautiful Rails to Trails along the Lackawanna River.
-
Spectacular fall foliage.
-
Port-a-lavs on the course and at the finish.
-
Lots of spectators, bands, cheerleaders, etc… out on the course.
-
Finish in front of a large, enthusiastic crowd in the center of Downtown Scranton.
-
Engraved medals to all finishers.
-
Free massages available at the finish line.
-
Nice Race Expo in modern high school building.
-
Prize money for top finishers.
-
Free admittance to fantastic post race party featuring dinner, live band, dancing, and more.
8 comments:
Sorry you didn't get in, but at least you and your dad can run together next year, right? I've always heard good things about Steamtown. I'm still trying to figure out my plans for the fall and which marathon. I like Philly for the course and the time of the year, but I've run it several times, so not sure. But it's on my list and may consider Steamtown also.
I like that it has 50 porta potties! I can't tell you how many gun times I've missed while waiting for the john!
Popped in from Lady bloggers again! I'm sorry you didn't get in!
So sorry you guys didn't get in. Train hard for next year - you are doing a great job! Have a fantastic weekend :)
Hey sweet girl, featured your post today on my blog for the Preppy Monthly Post Share... Thanks for submitting something!
Have a great weekend!
sorry you two didnt get in! dont give up :D
dropping in from LBS
Devan @ Accustomed Chaos
http://accustomedchaos.blogspot.com
I have never ran Steamtown as I am new to PA (Philly) having moved here from Ohio in November but I do know that it is a super fast course and I have heard good things!
Post a Comment