Thanks for the puppy comments! I can't help it, I love her already. Although I probably won't get her right now (I don't like to rush into things) I definitely want a pet soon. I feel like I need some life in my apartment. Anyway, I will keep you posted.
No run yesterday, just an awesome FIT class. I have been working on increasing my weight and was able to hold 10 pounds in each hand for (almost) the entire class. I switched to 8 pounds at the end when we did triceps because mine were shot from the 10o push-ups we just did. Yes 100. This class is crazy. It is one of the only group fitness classes men will consistently take because it is that challenging. We also did front, back, and side lunges, squats, bicep curls, rows, reverse flies, squats and planks. Then we put them all together. Craziness.
A couple of weeks ago, when I showed up for FIT class, my regular instructor was not there. We had a substitute instructor who has subbed for our class before. She is a physical therapist during the day and definitely knows her stuff but some things she said during class bothered me. She is definitely in great shape and her class was hard. Most group fitness classes follow the high-rep, low-weight format, but this instructor took it to the extreme. We all got our usual weight but after the first 5 minutes everyone in the class had to swap their weights for lighter ones. I could not hold more than 3 pounds in each hand because we did so many reps. I don't mind doing this once in awhile. It is a good way to build muscular endurance, a very different kind of strength, however, when she told us to put back our 10 pound weights because we don't want to build big, bulky muscles, I got upset! I mean, no, I don't want to look like a body builder but I am in the gym to tone up and build muscle. If I am putting all this work in, I want something to show for it! Don't get me wrong, the class kicked my butt. I guess I just prefer my regular teacher :) Last night, our usual teacher encouraged us to increase our weight because she said we will not get stronger if we continue to use the same amount of weight. Anyway, class went swimmingly. I'm a bit sore, but not too bad, and plan to do a tempo run this afternoon.
Enjoy your day!
3 comments:
Ugh I can't believe some people still say that - ESPECIALLY a friggen gym instructor! Women do not have enough testosterone to build BIG, bulky muscles like men!! I ALWAYS lift heavy now because I feel like my muscles get the best workout from it!
haha.... I love it that you got so upset about it... I've actually been mulling over the idea of doing a post of common workout myths, and this one is the top of my list... the reality is that you are not going to get big and bulky by lifting an extra few pounds.... it's ridiculous... my other number one exercise myth pet peeve, is when people say that you burn more calories throughout the day when you exercise... it is so not true! Study after study has shown that once your heart rate returns to normal so does your calorie burn, and the very definition of being fit is that your heart rate returns to normal faster as you get fitter, meaning that not only is this myth not true, but it's the opposite of true.... and the fitness instructors at my gym say it ALL THE TIME! I even heard one of the radio DJ's I listen to say it on air, and she's a fitness instructor at 24-hour fitness....
I think most women will never bulk up by lifting heavy weight, unless they take supplements or eat an all protein diet. I have these skinny arms and even though I swim a lot, if I don't lift 12-15lbs, I don't see any muscle definition. Glad the new instructor is back:)
Post a Comment