Mile Repeats
*I did my workout on the street, not the track in order to simulate a road race.
So according to Run Less, Run Faster yesterday's tempo run was supposed to consist of running 1 mile fast, 1 slow Rest Interval (RI), and then repeating this 3 times (in addition to warming up and cooling down, of course!). Sounds a lot like mile repeats to me...something I have always wanted to try! I completed this workout yesterday and call me crazy, but I think I have a new favorite workout!
According to Runner's World, the mile workout is good for a number of reasons:
1.) Build Stamina
2.) Increase Speed
3.) Learn Race Pace
The mile is short enough to go fast, but long enough to build endurance. It is the best of both worlds!
Here's how it went down yesterday:
Mile Repeats at Garmin Connect - Details
Click on the link if you want to see all the fancy charts and make sure I'm not lying!
**Note- HR is wrong, my HR monitor keeps disconnecting I have no idea why...
Overall Stats
7.00 Miles
53:42 Minutes
7:40 Pace
4:49 Best Pace
Summary
1.5 mile warm-up
1 Mile Tempo: 6:11
RI: 8:36
1 Mile Tempo: 6:18
RI: 8:59
1 Mile Tempo: 6:22
Cool Down
I am thrilled with how this workout went. I can tell the program is working and I feel much more comfortable at a faster pace. The next step is to decrease the rest interval to teach my body to recover faster. Next time I plan to run an 800 meter rest interval instead of a full mile. I would also like to increase to 5 or 6 repeats. I'll let ya know how that goes ;) According to Runner's World, you can use mile repeats to train for basically any distance, depending on how they are done. And hey, if it is good enough for the elite runners, it is good enough for me!
No run today, just mat Pilates, possibly FIT this afternoon and a long run tomorrow morning. Hoping to do 12-15 miles...
**Note: RI = Rest Interval

4 comments:
Thanks for the info. I have been thinking of fitting in some mile repeats
I did mile repeats on Tues., three of them, but we did only a 400 recovery in between each. Oh, and mine were more like 6:59, 6:48, 6:49. Big difference in our speed!
What a great blog! I am so inspired to get out there and hit the pavement now :) Happy running!!
You are so committed, well done!
Post a Comment