Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Runner's Body - Part 4, The Central Nervous System

Running long and hard is an ideal antidepressant, since its hard to run and feel sorry for yourself at the same time. Also, there are those hours of clear headedness that follow a long run.
~Monte Davis, Runner
Taken from Runner's World Quotes of the Day

Part 4 - The Central Nervous System

Chapters

Mind Matter over Body Matter: This chapter discusses the role of the brain during running. Basically, the brain serves a protective function over the body so that we don't get injured. It is amazing how much unconscious control the mind has over the body. While the body can override mind, it is usually not in our best interest to do so.

It's All about Style: This chapter was actually kind of boring to me. There was a lot of talk about running gait and the most efficient way to run. How to hold your arms, where you should land on your feet, etc. Boooooring. I love running and I love to read about running but there are somethings written about running that just bores me to tears: running gait and reading about sneaker models. This chapter does say that just because one way is theoretically the most efficient way to run, does not mean this way works best for everyone and that sometimes quirks in our gait may be the most efficient way for us to run. This is good news because the lower half of my left leg turns out when I run and I do not want to change it for fear of injury.

The Joy of Running: This chapter validates the infamous "Runner's High" that so many of us are addicted to. While we have endorphins to thank for this, they do not deserve all of the credit. Researchers have proved this in studies where the runner's high occurred even when endorphin receptors were chemically blocked. "Beyond endorphins, exercise increases brain levels of entirely different classes of neurotransmitters that positively affect mood in other ways." Exercise has also been used (in conjunction with anti-depressants as well as without) to treat various forms of depression and anxiety effectively. Furthermore, running reduces the negative affects of stress on the body both immediately and long term. I always joked that I run for stress relief and now there is scientific evidence to back this up!

What I learned:
~The Runner's Low exists, just as the Runner's High does and is at least in part attributed to over training.
~"Repeated physical exertion makes our brains generally better able to learn, function, and adapt by stimulating the growth of new cells, increasing the brain's fuel efficiency, and stimulating other changes that are very much like the exercise induced changes we are familiar with in other organs, such as the muscles." I actually read an article about this in Women's Health a few months ago. I will have to dig it up and look into it further because I find it fascinating.
~Running treats mental illness so effectively because depression is actually associated with atrophy in the pre-frontal cortex and hippocampus due to brain cell death. Exercise has the ability to stimulate new brain cell growth while, anti-depressants have only a limited capacity to grow new cells.

Next up: The last part of the book: The Immune System

5 comments:

Elle said...

Great review... one of the biggest motivators for me to get back into a habit of running and racing again, was knowing that running A) relieves stress but B) it can also help you learn... there was a great study done that split particpants into three groups one group studied straight through the afternoon and were asked to recall information (in this case I think it was names and faces), the other group studied and took a nap and then answered, and the last group studied and ran and answered.... the exercise group did the best because exercise does activate all those areas of your brain... at this point I think that I'm all about anything that will help me get through med school!

I ended up buying my sister a willow tree angel, have you seen those? She got a few at her baby shower last year and she really likes them... to my knowledge they don't' make a teacher's one, but they have one called "Love of Learning" and it's holding a book... very cute... and then I got her this cute portfolio that has like 9 different sizes and colors and shapes of sticky notes, and it folds up and closes so she could easily pop it into a drawer or her bag without them falling all over, and then I got her this cute green and blue tote bag.... All those things sort of seemed teacher-ish to me... without being so specific that she couldn't use or enjoy them if she ended up teaching something unexpected... what do you think? is there something I should add or take out?

I still am so wowed by your races this weekend! way to go girl!

Marathonman101108 said...

Very interesting, educational, and informative. Thanks for making me feel good and smart by being a runner. I think I need to run a LOT more so I can grow new brain cells and stop being so damn forgetful! By the way, I was just looking at your Personal Records. Girl, you are FAST!

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

That is some great information. I am going to have to check out that book. Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday!

I grew up in NJ, and from your race results it looks like not too far from you. Small world ...

Heather said...

It's so interesting how much running can help with mental illness. I have found that the more fatiguing the run is, the better I feel after. My stress level IS lower, and I'm so happy. If I'm ever not in the mood to get out there and hit the pavement, I just remind myself that I have NEVER EVER regretted going on a nice long run. I have been doing it long enough now, that I just know that's it's worth it, no matter how much I may not be in the mood.

I enjoy reading about running too! Thanks for the post! Keep it up.

Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) said...

HAHA, mind over body is how we survive the marathon. Thank goodness I have a strong will...most of the time.