Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Essential Traits of a Runner

The more I run, the more I want to run, and the more I live a life conditioned and influenced and fashioned by my running. And the more I run, the more certain I am that I am heading for my real goal: to become the person I am.
~George Sheehan

According to Amby Burfoot, in The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life, there are 5 essential traits that most "respected runners" share. I thought I would share them with you.


Patience
We require patience to meet our goals, when we become injured or sick, when dealing with the pressures of daily life, etc. It is important to remember to pace ourselves in all aspects of life. "Remember: You're in it for the long run. Life is a marathon, not a sprint; pace yourself accordingly.

Balance
I know it may be hard to believe, but some people love running so much, they run marathons every weekend! Woah. Running is a great thing, but in moderation. Amby claims, "If you are having fun, you've probably achieved balance." And isn't having fun what running is all about??

Stotanism
Stotanism means toughness. "The stotan must be willing to stand on his own, to resist pain, to stick to his ideals...He accepts the challenges of training, injuries, and disappointments without complaining." Running is hard. It is humbling, tiring, and amazing all at the same time. Not just anyone can be a runner :)

Respect
This one is broken into 2 categories:

~Respecting other runners
This is one trait I have found across all runners I have met. Runners are (mostly) great people! I have met so many wonderful runners at races, through running clubs, and through the running/blogging community. Runners respect one another. Think about it...when you are out for a run, and you see another runner, don't you just want to wave?? And how about this: "An exercise physiologist can essentially prove that a 4-hour marathoner works harder than a 2 hour marathoner." Running a marathon is running a marathon, no matter how fast it takes you to finish.

~Respecting the distance:
26.2 miles that is, or any distance for that matter.

Humility
One of the biggest lessons a runner can learn. Every runner faces a bad day, a poor race, or embarrassment of some sort. Humility is what teaches us to get back up and do it all over again.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think a little crazy helps too! Most of my friends that aren't runners think I've lost it! :)

Natasha said...

Oh this is a great post!!! I feel you on the toughness--my feet are starting to look like a real runners--ugly and all and tendonitis in my arms from not stretching is setting in--all for the love of running =)

Elle said...

Great post, and I love the part about humility. Two weeks ago I fell flat on my face 3/4 of a mile into my long run. I completely flew at least three feet, the fall was so dramatic a car actually flipped a u-turn in the middle of the road and drove by to stare at me as I stumbled to my feet. I wanted nothing more than to pack up my shoes and go home, but instead gosh darn it, I was going to make the run worthwhile. So with trickles of blood making their way from my skinned knees and palms, and people staring at me like I was a zombie, I finished the run. Was I totally mortified, absolutely, but even embarrassed I'm still a runner :)

Sarah said...

Hi Keri,

Thanks for checking out my blog! I am new to yours, but I love your last few posts. Congrats on your awesome times and age group stats. Thats awesome!

I was so excited about posting about my bib binder, that I am not making one for my boyfriend who runs also. Since your Dad liked his gift, I am hoping my bf will like it too :)

Angelia said...

Thanks for this! Respect is so important. I'm the slow one, I'm the one who is going to come in last, only slightly more than walking and barely breathing-but I'll cross the finish line. It's nice when the other runners don't look down their noses at me. I'll get to where you/they are eventually. :)

Keri said...

I think it is so great that each person who commented related to a different trait. Thanks for all the feedback :)

Angelia: Hell yeah you will!!!

Anonymous said...

I popped over from the The Lady Bloggers. Stotanism was new to me... thanks for the education on running.