Tuesday, February 2, 2010

New Shoes and Too Many Mags?





I have a question for you all: How often do you replace your running Sneakers?
I was reading the current issue of Self last week and came across a blurb claiming:
"The life of a running shoe may be shorter than you think, researchers from The University of Texas at El Paso suggest. After subjects went 200 miles, their sneaker cushioning started to break down, causing changes in their foot strikes, possibly hastening fatigue. Although 350 miles was once the magic number, you may want to retire your pair soon, especially if you jog on pavement." (SELF, Feb. 2010)

200 miles?? I usually replace my sneakers at 500 miles, and even that can get expensive. If I had to replace them twice as often I would be seriously broke. I usually go through 2-3 pairs of running sneakers per year.

Conversely, this month's issue of Runners' World advises to replace your shoes every 300-500 miles (March 2010, pg. 58).

I know I should definitely replace them before 500 miles (maybe 400?) Ideally I would love to have a couple of pairs in rotation and ultimately love to have training shoes and racing shoes, however, unless I hit it big, that won’t be happening any time soon.

What do you guys think? How often do you replace your shoes?

And speaking of magazines...

Being the fitness fanatic that I am, I subscribe to almost every health/fitness magazine that comes my way. These subscriptions currently include: Runners World, Self, Yoga Journal, and Women's Health. I'm not sure how necessary it is to read all of these magazines, however, my day is definitely brightened when they arrive in the mail and I (almost) always read each one cover to cover. Of course, being that I do subscribe to every magazine under the sun, I must have gotten myself on some sort of list because I am constantly receiving offers in the mail to subscribe to additional magazines. I obviously have to draw the line somewhere and I do think 4 mags a month are more than necessary/ If I got any more, I may not have time to read them all. But I just can't STOP! They make offers that are difficult to refuse to suck you in and then its tough to quit! $10 for 12 issues?! How can I say no to a deal like that?

However...I am tempted to subscribe to Running Times Magazine. I already receive Runners' World (and usually finish reading the issue in, um, a day) and will I really miss the $10? Do I NEED a subscription to an additional running mag?

**What mags do you read religiously? How many do you subscribe to?**

4 comments:

Lily's Health Pad said...

I was getting Running Times for awhile. BORRRRRRING! I had to force myself to read it.

I don't keep track of how many miles I've worn on my shoes. I just kinda look at the soles and make a determination based on how my feet feel.

Jonathan Beverly said...

Hi, a google "alert" picked up your reference to Running Times (kind of scary). Anyway, I'm the editor, and given your voracious appetite for magazines, I think you'll like us, as we have a lot more content in each issue than most magazines. We are aimed at the more competitive runner, and go deeper into each subject than other magazines (which is why some find us boring -- I hope that's why!), so you'll have to weigh that in your decision. But, hey, you don't have much to lose, right? I'd like to know what you think of the magazine. — Jonathan

Natasha said...

OK for shoe replacement, I have only heard every 400 to 500 miles-- 200 is INSANE!! I couldn't even afford that with all the other things I have to buy-- glad I'm not the only one =)

Elle said...

I replace my shoes around 300-400 miles. And I definitely subscribe to too many magazines. I recently didn't renew my womens health subscription, b/c the stuff I really like from women's health are the workouts and those are online, I also canceled self last year - I just felt like most of the information they give you is pretty basic stuff that I already knew or was familiar with. However, now I currently subscribe to Runner's World, Southern Living, Martha Stewart, Relevant Magazine, Austin Monthly and Real Simple, and then the Preppy boyfriend gets Bon Apetite and Men's Health. So we always have more magazines than we read... it's really sad, when we leave Austin I'll definitely cancel the Austin monthly subscription, but I think I'll keep the rest. That will leave me with 5 subscriptions... which is still alot....