Monday, February 1, 2010

Weekend Recap and the Monday Blues

There is beauty in your presence. Show who you are.


LOVE this quote. I found it in my yogi teabag. I seriously am obsessed with this tea. Obviously it tastes delicious, but the quotes are my favorite part. Dan says I’m such a sucker for advertising…and he is right. Fortunately, I just found out that my local Stop and Shop sells Yogi tea! It doesn’t sell as many types/flavors as Whole Foods, but it sells enough. Right now I am drinking Calming tea, which claims to ease mild tension and anxiety. Truth be told, I think it works :)

On to the weekend. This weekend was the perfect balance of fun and rest. My only complaint is that it went too quickly! (Well, that and the cold, but what else is new…) Friday after work I went with my oldest friend, Vonelle, to a swim shop. I had been telling her I want to try swimming some laps at my gym in an attempt to incorporate some cross training into my running schedule (read: give my aching legs a break!). Since I only owned the skimpiest of bathing suits (hello, tan lines!) I felt unfit to swim laps. I am also super insecure about my swimming abilities but, I reasoned that if I looked the part, maybe I would actually get some laps in. Vonelle needed a new suit too, and what better time to buy a bathing suit than on the coldest day of the year (can you say, salesss?) The trip was a major success. I got a super cute suit. A 2 piece black and pink speedo that fit like a glove. And the best part? I paid $10 for the top and $10 for the bottom! Such a steal.


Source


I took Friday completely off from any form of fitness. I definitely believe you need a day like this to allow your body to rest. Friday evening Dan and I met my friend, Katie and her boyfriend at a local wine bar for a few drinks. I may have over done it and had 3 glasses of wine. Oops. But I had a great time catching up with Katie. I don’t get to see her a lot because she is in her 4th semester of med school at Tuffs. So clearly she’s the dumb blonde :) right.


Saturday was low key. Got in a 5 mile run with my Dad and spent the rest of the day with Dan. We stayed in Saturday night, and Sunday morning I met my Mom for yoga at Lifetime. This was our first attempt at Hatha yoga. We took an intermediate class and some of the poses were difficult for both of us. I'm willing to give it another shot but I actually prefer the Vinyasa classes or the nontraditional Athletic Yoga classes my gym offers. Maybe I just need to take a beginner class. After yoga my Dad and I went for a run and then it was back to the apartment to get ready for the week. Dan and I ordered some pizzas and watched Tough Love.


How do these weekends go so fast?? I can’t believe Monday is already over and that it is February 1st. It is also birthday week :) I will be 26 on Friday. Craziness. Hope everyone's weeks are going well. Today was definitely a Monday at work. It was such a crazy day that I skipped out on my run AND kickboxing class to go home because I was so exhausted. The current edition of Runners' World gave some great advice about not to confuse mental exhaustion with physical exhaustion when you want to get out of your after work run. I definitely did that today. Oh well, here's to hoping tomorrow goes more smoothly.

3 comments:

Elle said...

Great post! I was wondering what gym you belong to, I belong to Lifetime as well and have always wanted to try the yoga classes, now I'm going to have to do it!

I also used that motivation from Runner's World. I think this issue has been my favorite issue in a long time.... happy early birthday!

RunMishiRun said...

Happy early Birthday!!! I think that its great that you run with your father. I'm so jealous. I wish one of my parents was a runner!

Maureen Lisa said...

Ahhh birthday's are the BEST! Can't wait to hear what you get so exciting!! The swim suit is adorable and if I ever start I'm gonna have to wait until the winter to buy too bc that is a hardcore steal!