Monday, November 8, 2010

Healthy Transformation: My Journey to Getting Healthy

One's destination is not a place, but a new way of looking at things.
~Henry Miller

I was always an active person. 15 years ago, at the age of 11, when my dad was training for his first marathon, I would get up at 5:30 in the morning on a Sunday to ride my bike along with him on his training runs. Read his version of the story here. I started playing soccer at the age of 7, and before that I danced. In high school I made the varsity team my freshman year. In 2002, I went off to Gettysburg College. It was the first time in over ten years that I was not playing soccer, or officially doing something active. I played on an inter-mural team my freshman year to stay active and went to the gym a few times a week. I would run on the treadmill, use the elliptical, and do some free weights. I also did tons of crunches. I thought I was doing everything right. Without even realizing it, I was gaining weight.

Junior Year of College:


2004



2005

I continued to go to the gym, with the intention of losing weight. I ate poorly and drank too much. I did not get enough sleep and I wore too much make-up. I had toxic friends and a bad attitude. I was not happy with myself. In order to get happy, I tried to have more fun. This of course, meant less sleep, more drinking, bad food choices, etc.

When I was home for the summer between my junior and senior year I did not have my school's gym to go to. I did not have any gym to go to, so I ran outside. I ran by myself and occasionally would run with my dad. When I could keep up, that is. He went for much longer runs than I could ever hope to. Or so I thought.

By my senior year, 7 girls and I lived in an off campus house. We ditched the meal plan and started grocery shopping. I signed up for a nutrition course and I cleaned up my diet a bit. This definitely helped. Living in a house with 7 other girls proved to be stressful and I would often need a break from the house. I started to run outside by myself. Running in Gettysburg was beautiful. There were many rolling battlefields to run on. You could run forever out there, and I wanted to. There were times when I dreaded going back to my house. In order to stay away, I would run longer. At first I would run, then walk when I needed to. Eventually I was running for hours. Literally. I would run for an hour and a half in the morning, go to class, eat lunch, and go out for another run in the afternoon. I could not get enough. I was bitten by the bug.


Post-College:


2008



2008

2010
Once I got healthy, things fell into place. I was happier. I was glowing, I felt stress free. You can see that in these pictures.

After graduation, I continued to run. My dad and I started running more together because now I could keep up. We ran a couple of races together, but it wasn't until last year that I truly got bit by the racing but. In September of 2008, I won my first race. I think that is when I got serious about the sport. I thought, Wow, if I can with this race without even trying to, I wonder what I can do if I train a little harder. Last year, my dad and I joined our running club and started racing more frequently. I ran 12 races last year, including my first marathon.



This year, I qualified for the Boston Marathon. I started this blog in August 2009 to document my training and hold myself accountable. I became a certified group fitness instructor and joined a gym. I now supplement running with Pilates, yoga, and strength training. I am studying to become a certified personal trainer, and plan to teach boot camp soon. I hope to continue to improve my speed, endurance, and attitude in order to become the best and healthiest person I can be starting from the inside out.

8 comments:

Jenn said...

Great post! Fun to see a little background! You look great and happy!! Injury-SO frustrating! Get yourself healthy-you're taking the right approach!

Runners Fuel said...

I love seeing how peple started running! Such a big change. You look great! Keep up the good work.

Robyn @ Wannabe Writer Runner said...

Wow it's amazing how running can transform so much more than just a body. The same thing happened to me in college. I hate seeing some of those photos. Congrats on your success.

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

I LOVE your story! Running really is such a life-changer! I used to run to get away from some of my roomies too!
You look AMAZING! You are so fit holy cow!!
I love that you get to run with your Dad, you are so lucky!! I seriously can't wait to meet up with you in Boston!

LindsLovesMiles said...

This is such a great post!! I'm so happy running saved you-it saved me too :)

Page said...

This is SUCH a great post and so completely motivating. Congrats on being so fabulous and going after what you love!

All Things Jaime said...

Amazing transformation. I think we all had those college moments! I know I did. Isn't it crazy to look back at the pictures! Good for you! You're an amazing runner ... I'm glad you're using up all of that talent and not letting it go to waste.

PS: Just read your giveaway post. I didn't realize we wore the same shoes!!

Anna P said...

Wow, what an incredible journey!

fitgirlwannabe.wordpress.com