Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Workout and Some Great New Reads

I have recently stumbled up some new running blogs (whether I found them or they found me I can’t remember!). They are great reads and I thought you may want to check them out:

The Hungry Runner Girl

running: the dawn

Run 4 May

Just Run With It

Yesterday was back to the gym. I did 20 minutes of the hill setting on the elliptical, 10 minutes of calf exercises and foam rolling my quads and IT band, and 1 hour of reformer Pilates.

Does anyone know any good calf exercises? I have 2 that I do consistently:

Calf Raises: Yesterday I did them on a step with a 10-lb dumbbell in each hand.

Plie Squat w/ Heel Tap: After a set of plie sqauts, tap your heels for 10-12 counts, then tap your toes for 10-12 counts then (if you can!) alternate tapping- heel, toe, heel, toe, etc. Try not to move your torso while tapping. I love this exercise but it is hard to do with my hurt knee right now.

I am happy because today is like a Friday for me. Public school teachers in New Jersey have off this Thursday and Friday for teacher’s convention (which we do not have to attend) so it is a 4-day weekend! Happy Wednesday :)

10 comments:

dawn @ running the dawn said...

thanks for the shout out!!!

i've been doing some plyometrics (read: too much jumping!) and my calfs are screaming! nothing specific, but vertical jumps, lunging jumps, etc.

Runners Fuel said...

Have a great 4 day weekend!

Just Run With It said...

Aw, thanks for the shout out! I really hope that knee stops bothering you soon, injuries are such a drag... Have a great 4 day weekend!

run4may said...

Thanks for mentioning my blog. I really appreciate it. Enjoy your extended weekend.

LindsLovesMiles said...

i just found your blog! very inspiring!!

Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) said...

As you tap your heels do you find yourself saying "There's no place like home"?

I find that being a forefoot runner pretty much works my calves without anything else. However, I do workout the rest of my body at the gym once a week to keep it up.

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

Thanks for the shout out! You totally made my DAY!! I feel famous for being mentioned on YOUR Blog. You are a rockstar! I am a loser and don't know what reformer Pilates is?? Got to love the foam roller. For the calf exercise I have been doing a killer quad/calf move. Hug one of those big exercise balls (with ten pounders in each hand going up around the top part of the ball) and squat down, pulse and lean forward onto your tip toes. Does that make sense? Let me know! You really are the cutest thing ever and I always get so excited when you have a new post!

All Things Jaime said...

Thanks for the new blogs! :) How's the recovery going? Any better? You still making the trip to FL?

Laury @The FitnessDish said...

The thing with calf and biceps exercises is there aren't many improvements you can do, it's all the same, you just gotta get creative. With Bi's you can get more creative, so I guess that's a bad example :(

I do seated calf raises or standing, or squats and toe raise. Not many other things, you can turn your toes out or in to just keep from getting bored!!

Foam rolling is always a big part of my routine! How have you been feeling???

Jenn said...

I've just been catching up here on your race reports! OK-I have a sister who spells her name the same way, my dad is also a runner and ran we both ran the Twin Cities marathon last year. You are a speedy girl!! Sub 20 in the 5K would be a pipedream for me! Great Blog!