Sunday, November 7, 2010

I Surrender…

I surrender. I am injured and need to recover. I need to stop trying to run and getting upset when I am unsuccessful. I need to focus on recovery, getting stronger, and cross training if I want to be able to train appropriately for Boston.

This Week:
Monday: REST
Tuesday: Reformer Pilates + 20 min elliptical, 10 min calf/foam rolling
Wednesday: 1 mile jog, 15 min stair climber (hill setting) quad exercises (squats, leg lifts, wall sits)
Thursday: Mat Pilates. 30 min stair climber (levels 10-15 fat burning setting), weights
Friday: Strictly Strength (1 hour)
Saturday: 60 min Spin Class
Sunday: 7 mile bike ride (dad’s run), Yoga/Meditation (evening)

Since I have been going crazy not running, I am throwing my focus to forms of cross training that produce similar feelings to that of a good run; mainly spin and the stair climber. I need something to get my heart pounding and to break a sweat. Unfortunately, for some reason, I just could not get into the elliptical. I have decided to plan my week around workouts similar to what I attempt to do with my running workouts. To give them a purpose so I don’t get down about not running. If done properly, the cross training should make me stronger for when I am ready to come back to running. If nothing else, hopefully they will keep me sane. I can’t help but think of Janae, a 3:04 marathoner, who is attempting to break 3 hours in the marathon next April. She is not running until January. If she can take off that long and run like that, maybe I should give this rest thing a try…

Planned Workouts for Next Week

Monday: Spin
Tuesday: Pilates Reformer + Cardio (stairs or elliptical)
Wednesday: Yoga (AM) Weights- back, biceps & triceps (PM)
Thursday: FIT
Friday: Weights: Legs
Saturday: Spin
Sunday: Mat Pilates

We will see if I can stick to this plan, as I have been known to take liberties with my training plans in the past…I decided to start the week with an evening yoga class with my mom to kick off the work week on a good note. I have a busy week coming up and I need to approach it with a clear head, because work has been making me crazy lately.

I am sad my 4-day weekend has come to an end but it was relaxing and productive. I got a lot of workouts in, took a bunch of fitness classes at the gym, studying for the personal trainer test, opened a savings account (who doesn’t have a savings account?!) and finished my book. I also spent a lot of quality time with my family and puppy. Enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

6a0120a6a50f3f970c0120a6a6185e970c-800wi I am thankful for exercise and the ability to sweat!

7 comments:

dawn @ running the dawn said...

oh my heart soooo goes out to you! it's rough to finally give in and admit that you are injured and even harder to survive rehab. i hope that the healing comes quickly and you are able to get strong while not running.

Amber said...

You're going to heal so much faster if you just accept it and rest! I finally accepted my injury a few weeks ago and started doing what the physio told me and I am on the mend! I actually feel 100% better right now but the physio told me no running until November 15 so I'm going to listen and wait.

I've found that powerful yoga classes, biking and swimming on a regular basis help take away some of the pain from not being able to run.

Good luck!

mmmonyka said...

Being injured sucks big time!
Last year in March I got injured and then I run for 1 hour and could not run for 5 days and repeat. I was too stubborn. Then in April I screwed it up completely by doing 20miles in a marathon, which put me off running for 5 months! Do not do the same mistake please.

I took 3 months almost completely off (just weights and lots og walking) and then one thing that worked for me very good was biking. When I could not run I did almost 40miles daily for last 2 months and it helped me to get into pretty good shape so I only needed 2 months of running to get into 3:27 marathon shape.
Keep us posted on how it goes!

Anonymous said...

Four day weekends are AMAZING :)

However, always so hard to go back!

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

Well, you have taken the first step and realized you had a problem:( I am so sorry!! We want to be running till we are 80 right, so we better do whatever it takes to do that! That's what I keep telling myself every time I am tempted to run.
Let's be each others support system k? What a great time to try lots of classes at the gym!!
When are you going to take your personal trainer test, that is so cool!
Whenever you get discouraged about your knee e-mail me because I TOTALLY understand.
You are way too nice to me, thanks for the linkage!!

Runners Fuel said...

A change can be good. Take the rest ad really get into the cross training. Good luck!

Stephanie said...

It's good that you are taking the steps to get better faster! There is plenty of good cross-training that will keep you in shape and let your knee heal!

Keep up the positive attitude!