Tuesday, November 30, 2010

This is why I don’t like doctors…

3390505-illustration-of-doctor-s-bag-and-red-cross-symbol Today I caved and saw a doctor. A few days ago, I decided maybe it was a good idea to see a sports medicine doctor. My dad had a doctor who did his knee surgery, who is also a runner so I thought it would be the perfect fit! Unfortunately, I need a referral to see anyone other than my primary care physician so I had that appointment today and I made the appointment with the runner-doctor tomorrow. Easy, right?

Wrong. My pain-in-the-butt doctor would not give me the referral I needed. I’ve never had a problem with my doctor before. Heck I hardly ever go there. When I went in today she said, “wow, I haven’t seen you in awhile.” Apparently it had been over a year since I was last there. I consider that a win. As a teacher, I have this spectacular health insurance in New Jersey. My co-pays are extremely cheap and I can see almost any doctor I want. As long as I have a referral.

My doctor looked at my knees, ordered me an x-ray, gave me anti-inflammatories, and prescribed 6 weeks of physical therapy. “I really just need a referral. I already know the doctor I want to see.”

“I’m sorry we typically prescribe physical therapy before we refer you to a specialist.”

“But I have been doing the exercises. I am studying to be a trainer you know.”

“Yes well, lets see how you do after 6 weeks of pt.”

“Okay well can I run on it?”

“Sure.”

!!!!!!!!!!

“As long as you feel no pain.”

Exit office pouting.

Seriously? Don’t get me wrong. I have nothing against going to physical therapy. I plan to at least go to a few sessions and see what they say, but I didn’t need to go to a doctor to hear all of this.

Anyway, after a frustrating afternoon at the doctor’s office, I blew off some steam at the gym.

~20 min stair climber, fat burn setting
-level 12 (2 min)
-level 15 (3 min)
-level 17 (10 min)
-level 15 (3 min)
-level 12 (2 min)
`**towel off**
~
60 min Pilates Reformer- this was a great way to cool off after the sweat sesh on the stairs.

I am meeting my mom for 5:30 spin tomorrow morning so after the gym I came home, ate dinner, showered, and prepped for tomorrow morning. I have developed a good routine to get me up and out the door in the morning:

~Set the coffee pot
~Pack gym bag with work clothes/make up bag
~Lay out gym clothes
~Set alarm clock

Time to relax on the couch!
~Go to bed early!

6 comments:

Amanda@runninghood said...

So frustrating that it takes so long sometimes to get to the place you want to be when it comes to some insurance coverages. I hear ya! I'm actually shocked that I got referred so quickly through my health care...I went in pretty much insisting on getting an immediate MRI thinking that they would give me the run around but surprisingly I got it the next day...yay for young eager to please doctors! Hope things speed up for you. Sounds like an awesome workout despite not running...inspires me to get the gym right now to sweat!

dawn @ running the dawn said...

ugggg...that's so annoying...i hate it when non-runners just don't get it. let me talk to someone who's run several marathons and is currently in training cause they are going to speak my language and know how to fix me.

Anonymous said...

I have gone through the same thing with my doctor. So annoying!!!

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

That is so frustrating!! Are you going to try and run on it? Love your morning ritual....so so similar to me:) Enjoy your spin class with your mom, that is awesome that you work out together!

LindsLovesMiles said...

Keri--Everyone's different, but when I had runner's knee 2 years ago I iced all the time with a styrofoam cup (do you know that trick?), stretched and got a massage. After complete rest (no XT) for 2 weeks I started running, only like 2-3 miles at a time, but it was fine. I hope this can maybe help you!

Lizzy said...

That is SOOOO FRUSTRATING!!!
I can't believe they wouldn't refer you! I often go straight to the specialists and then ask for a referral. But here are some positives from my point of view.

I believe SO highly in Physical Therapy. Anytime I've ever gone straight to a sports doctor (even the sports doctor who did my ACL Reconstruction) he has either a) recommended rest or b) recommended PT.

Try to find a PT who specializes in marathon runners. Someone who won't tell you you can't run, but someone who will teach you how to run smarter and effectively for your injury.

Last year I deferred my number for NY because of bad advice from a bad PT, then I found another one and I still go 1X a week. I love it! I work it into my workout regimens.