Sunday, November 14, 2010

Pilates vs. Bootcamp

November 8-14
Monday
: REST
Tuesday: Reformer Pilates
Wednesday: 60 min Spin
Thursday: REST
Friday: 10 min stairs, Weights: Back, Chest
Saturday: 60 min Spin
Sunday: 60 min Spin

Plan for This Week
Monday
: Spin & Mat Pilates
Tuesday: Reformer Pilates
Wednesday: Spin
Thursday: FIT
Friday: Weights
Saturday: Spin
Sunday: Mat Pilates

*It has been over a week since I have even attempted to run and I have been keeping myself busy at the gym. Spinning has been going well and the knee is feeling good. I just hope it is healing! Today I went to watch my dad run the Giralda Farms 10K race. It was difficult not to be racing but I had a blast watching all of the runners. I took lots of pictures and plan to post a mini spectator version of a race report. My dad did well in the race and even beat his time from last year.

pilates                      bootcamp2

Check out this article (its super short) that Angela linked to on her blog. Of course, anything Pilates automatically catches my eye so of course I checked it out right away. The article basically said that Pilates is losing its popularity to boot camps because Pilates is more expensive and boot camps are more accessible. I definitely agree that Pilates can be an expensive hobby sport activity, but it doesn’t have to be. At my gym mat Pilates classes are free, but you pay extra for the reformer sessions ($25 a session, and you usually sign up for 8 sessions at a time). I take one reformer class a week. My gym only offers boot camp at an additional cost. One month goes for $160 and you go 3 times per week. Personally, I think the gym is probably capitalizing on the popularity of boot camps but its hard to say because I have never taken one at this gym. It seemed from the article, people were either partial to Pilates or boot camp, rarely both, but I think balance is important. The reason I love Pilates so much is because it balances the intensity of my running and training schedule. I also love the mind/body component of the practice, but feel that I get a better workout than in the yoga classes I’ve taken. Now that I am unable to run for awhile however, I find myself looking for more intense workouts (*hence the frequency of the spin classes*)

What do you think? What is your favorite form of exercise? (besides running if that is your answer)

3 comments:

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

Great week of work-outs!!! I wish our spin classes were 60 minutes! That article is way interesting! I can't believe that you have to pay extra from some of the classes at your gym. They must be awesome because ours are all free. Girl keep doing pilates (obviously it is working) and you love all of the benefits!
My favorite form of exercise other than running would have to be PUMP lately, usually I hate weight training! What is happening to me?
It really is so hard to watch other people race when you want to be out there running so bad!

Amber said...

I wish my gym offered pilates! I would love to try it in class form. I've only ever done pilates videos and I remember it being a great core workout.

My favourite exercise other than running is definitely hot yoga! If you don't find yoga to be intense enough I definitely recommend trying a hot yoga class or an ashtanga/power class! It's definitely an intense workout (for me anyways!)

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Have you checked this site? This is awesome man. They are providing exclusive Pilates workout sessions online. Can you believe it! I couldn’t when I heard about it at first. But when I went through their I was satisfied .I lost 3-4 kgs in very little time. You should try them too.