Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Workout Move of the Day: The Hover

Wow, 100 followers! Thank you Skinnyrunner :) Welcome new readers, thank you for coming. I am excited to check out all of your blogs :)

If you are new to the blog, there are some things you need to know:

~I recently completed my 2nd marathon.
~I have been having knee problems ever since. (Part 2)
~I am cross training in order to prepare for Boston Marathon training.

So if you don’t see a lot of running on the blog right now thats why. Hopefully I will be running again soon!

Thank you for all your feedback on the diet pills/smoking issue. You all were torn as much as I was! I have to admit, I am feeling guilty about not saying anything. The next time we see them I will probably ask how its going and warn her to be careful or something along those lines. I don’t want to preach but I feel like I should say something. Just to clear things up, she isn’t my good friend. If she was I definitely would have said something to begin with. She is my boyfriend’s good friend’s wife.

Anyway…Its time for the…

Workout Move of the Day!

The Hover
The hover is a great way to build up enough strength and endurance to do pushups.

1.) Start in a plank position with your hands under your shoulders and space between your feet.

PushUpPlank300x185

2.) Slowly lower yourself to the mat as if you were going to do a push up. Try to keep your elbows in and shoulders down.

PushUpPush300x113

3.) When your chest is about a fist away from the mat (go even lower than the picture above), drop your knees, but keep your booty in the air. Hold for a few seconds and then push up with a flat back.

4.) You are now in the up version of a modified push up. Pick up your knees to return to a full plank. Hold for 5 seconds.

5.) Repeat 5 times.

This exercise is meant to be done slowly, especially in the lowering phase. Do not just drop to the floor. Take  your time going down, hold, drop your knees and then push up. In the beginning, you may have to do a little wiggle (worm?) with your body to push yourself up and thats okay but aim for to push up with a flat back. Of course, remember to squeeze your core in throughout the entire exercise.

9 comments:

dawn @ running the dawn said...

ok that looks crazy intense, but i bet it works wonders! can't wait to give it a try.

Stephanie said...

So I tried this just now, and lasted maybe 5 seconds before falling, haha! A clear sign I should probably keep doing it!

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

I love that move but I am not good at doing it slowly...which is so important ha! You are strong woman!! Yay for so many followers!! Have a great day!

Junie B said...

do this in EVERY hot yoga class. torture. i am getting better at it tho!

chataranga pushups will help!

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

love it! :)

mmmonyka said...

Hi Keri. This is an answer to your question on my blog. I have actually had a coach since May because I am not experienced enough in long distance running so I cannot train myself effectively. She gives me a list of work-outs I can choose from, therefore I don't do the same work-out over and over again.

Laury@TheFitnessDish said...

Glad to hear you're taking some time to rest the knees and doing some cross training in place of running!

I am obsessed with your move of the day!!!

David said...

Modified Push Ups -As I read your blog post, I couldn’t help but think of the Push Up Bench as the most effective way for people who struggle with push ups , to be able to do them correctly (with full range of motion). Most modified push ups make them easier but only allow one or two variations. The Push Up Bench has 11 different levels to work through on the way to a full push up.

Lizzy said...

Just read your race recap. What an amazing race!!! I'm excited for you to run Boston. I've lived on the course practically my whole life so I know all about it. You will love it. Its pretty much suburbia until Mile 20. Lets try to meet up when you come up!