Awhile back I was getting a lot of questions about running with bad knees, so I wrote this post. Fortunately, at that time, I had not really experienced any severe knee issues. Ever since the half marathon though, I started to have some knee pain. I was tapering for Steamtown at this point, so I cut back tremendously on mileage. I made it through Steamtown successfully, but due to the steep decline for the first 9 miles of the course, the knee pain I was experiencing was exacerbated. My dad and I took an entire week off after the marathon to recover. The muscles soreness faded away, but the pain in my left knee lingered. I have come to realize I have one of “The Big 5” (running injuries that is): Runner’s Knee.
I decided to do some research because I have been longing to run again, more for my mental health than for physical gain. Here are some helpful links I have found:
Runner’s World- Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (Runner’s Knee)
Time to Run- Chondromalacia (Runner’s Knee)
Runner’s Knee Defined:
According to the American Council on Exercise:
“The knee cap joint, is a common sight of pain which has been referred to by different terms, such as runner’s knee, jumper’s knee, etc. It is generally caused by two things: decreased hamstring and calf flexibility, or improper tracking of the patella (kneecap) in the femoral groove.”
Runner’s Knee Explained:
“The patellofemoral joint is under constant eccentric stress during ballistic activities such as running and jumping. This stress is similar to that placed on a car’s brakes. The quadriceps muscles are constantly absorbing shock and decelerating the leg. If the muscles are not trained eccentrically, they will fatigue earlier. This fatigue can lead to changes in the client’s movements and sometimes a substitution of other muscles to absorb the shock to the lower extremity.”
Prevention:
1.) Perform hamstring and calf flexibility exercises to reduce the stress on the quads.
2.) Eccentric (with gravity) strength training should be done if you are predisposed to injuries in this area.
Treatment:
1.) Ice
2.) Anti-Inflammatory
3.) Reduce mileage and intensity. Avoid hills (uphill & downhill)
Today was the first day I have run since the marathon. It was an easy 3-miler and the knee felt pretty good. Still not 100% but it has definitely improved.
Good luck to everyone racing this weekend, Especially Jaime and Stephanie. Stop by their blogs and wish them luck. Stephanie is running her first marathon and Jaime is going for that BQ! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!
Question: Have you been sidelined with a running injury in the past? What was it and how did you handle it?
11 comments:
I always have hip pain! A year ago the doctor said I had a "possible" minor stress reaction - but I am not totally sure that's what it was. It's chronic and only when I run - so I have to do a lot of cross-training and less running. Definitely no marathons! But the short 5ks are fun anyway. :)
And by the way, what kind of dog is Cooper? So cute!
I hurt my foot the last 2 miles of the marathon and haven't ran since. I'm DYING to run again mostly for my mental health, but it's still pretty sore.
Sigh. Stupid injuries. I hope we both get better asap!
Hope you get better soon. Be carefull!!!!
I have had ITB issue going on and off since April 2009. I had to take 5 MONTHS off from April to August because I push it through 20 miles of marathon (then I had to stop) and screwed it up!!! Since then it is 3 months of running, 1 month off because it always come back. Now it is my third month of running and I have been doing a lot of things differently this time so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it does not come back.
You're so sweet! Thanks for the shout out! I'm ready ... very nervous, but getting exciting.
I hope your knee gets to feeling better fast! Are you guys still looking at coming down to FL for that marathon and 1/2 marathon?
Thanks for the shout out, that is so sweet, and I am super nervous!
I am so sorry to hear your knee pain is still lingering, but it sounds like it is getting better, hopefully you will feel 100% soon! Can't wait to hear about your next race plans!!!
I am dealing with knee pain right now and it is horrible. I went to the PT and he said that I just had a tight lateral hip/leg. I am just not very patient and wish I could run pain free again! i am glad though that you were able to get out for a run!
Excellent Post on runners knee!! Very well explained!!! As I have said before, I used to run all the time in high school and after, however my knees got really bad and my legs/hips were really tight and my low back and shoulders would tense up. I just can't relax when I run, I don't know what happens to me!
...I just didn't enjoy it. So, I decided o get my cardio and endorphins kick other ways!! I really wish I could get into it, I enjoy reading about how well you do in your races, it's super inspiring! However, running just never was for me, unfortunately. Maybe one day I will get the bug and really train my body to overcome all those things!
I've had knee problems in the past (not while running), so I'm scared I will have more problems when I up my mileage.
ITB!!! On both sides! Though not at the same time.
My right ITB was injured during the training of my 2nd marathon. Training suffered. The race suffered. The time? My worst. I took 6 weeks off, afterward. 6!!! No running!! I was going insane, but I learned a lesson and I learned a lot about my body. And when my left ITB started hurting earlier this year, I knew just what to do: cut back on mileage/pace, ice, foam roll, massage. Religiously. A week later, I was fine.
I had horrible runners knee when training for my first marathon in 2009. I think it had to do with a few things:1) heel striking, and 2) my body not being used to the intensity of training. I did not take any time off except 2 weeks after the marathon. It continues to hurt on and off, but eventually it went away. I also did a lot of knee strengthening exercises (check out MGH sports psychology for an exercise plan)
Hi there
Had a stress fracture of the knee a couple of years ago and had to take 9 months off!!! So I know all about it. I tried water running, but gave up, tried walking on the track, but gave up. So I turned into the coach on the side with a stopwatch and a beer. (instead instead of the coach setting the pace) but I got through it, as will you.
Sp what do I think you should be doing? Stretching Quads and strenthening Hamstrings. And then there is running barefoot...But I'll only tell you why if you want to know.
Get running soon!
Post a Comment