Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Workout Charts

I know I am doing the right thing, but I can’t help but cringe when comparing last month’s workout chart to this months:

 

September Workouts September Workouts

 

October Workouts October Workouts (so far)

As you can see…total number of runs in October = 2. I am a visual person so I color code my charts. Green stands for the gym, yellow for quality runs (long, tempo, track, recovery, etc.), blue is for races, and pink for total rest days. As you can see, this month has a lot of pink! I also try to keep track of weather, new shoes, and take notes on any other problems or issues that seem noteworthy.

Due to my current knee problems, I still haven not run, but the knee is feeling better! I may try a short one today before the return of….PILATES! Yay!

Question: How do you keep track of your workouts?

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am an excel junkie also, LOVE IT!!! Mine is broken out by week, workouts, and has all sorts of color legends. There are typically 2 tabs, 1 for the planned workout and another for what I actually did, so I can see if/how well I followed my plans. I usually upload it to my google docs so I can look at it and edit it anywhere.

mmmonyka said...

Don't feel bad about not running as much this month as you did in Sept. Take care of your knee first.

I am very bad at keeping track of my runs/weight etc. Although this year I am much better. But I never look at what I did so I am not sure what's the point of keeping track. But maybe some day someone will want to see it...

Unknown said...

yes, I am a freak about tracking miles, miles on my gear, pace, blah blah blah.
Oh and I totally color code my workouts too! hot pink=weight training/green= running/blue= swimming/red= biking/orange= rest

sometimes I just get too caught up in the whole numbers game but it is a great tool. You are able to see what's working and what's not working.
Rest that knee! A little down time now will keep you from having MORE down time then you want.

Runners Fuel said...

I have a calendar that I write everythingon. And then, once a month (at the end), I go back and compare my progress.

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

wow! I love your way of keeping track! So organized! lol... I usually dont keep track of my workouts... just runs that I use nike+ for and that's it...

sarah said...

Hi! I don't know why I haven't commented before, but I'm a North Jersey runner too. Nice job on your marathon! And...I use Strands, an online tracking/social networking site, to log my workouts. I had never done anything like it before, but it really is a good way of comparing mileage/stats/etc.