Thursday, October 14, 2010

FIRST Training Plan Review

run_less_run_faster_cover When I first read Run Less, Run Faster last winter, I knew the FIRST training plan it promotes intrigued me. I didn’t know, however, if it was perfect for me. My dad and I chose to use the FIRST training plan to train for our second marathon which we ran this past weekend. After following the program for 16 weeks, and completing our goal race, I wanted to write a full review of the plan including what worked, what didn’t, what I liked and didn’t like.I know I was always pretty vocal about my criticisms of this plan (see below) but there are a lot of things I love about it.

Likes
~Flexibility (with only 3 days of running, it is easy to fit into a busy schedule!)
~Focus on speed
~Room for strength training
~Novel workouts, never boring
~Difficult workouts!
~I was able to set PRs across shorter distances (4 miler, 10k and half marathon) while still training for the marathon.
~IT GOT ME TO MY GOAL TIME!

Dislikes
~Emphasis on cross training
~Discourages tune-up races
~The strict time constraints made it difficult for my dad and I to run workouts together.
~Only 3 days of running.

To be clear, I did not follow the program exactly. I rarely did any cardio cross training. I mainly stuck to yoga, pilates, and strength training. I substituted one of the cross training days for a recovery run or easy run day. I ran lots of “tune-up” races. I didn’t always hit my target training run times, especially for the long runs. Regardless of all of that….

I trained for a 3:30 marathon and I crossed the finish line in 3:29:35. You can’t get much closer than that. There are a few main reasons why I think I was able to achieve my goal:

1.) I chose a reasonable goal, one that I was capable of reaching.
2.) I modified the plan when necessary. Depending on how I was feeling, I cut workouts short, skipped workouts, or modified them.
3.) My body thrives on speed, not necessarily high mileage.
4.) Confidence

I have said that I would use this plan again, but probably not for my next marathon. Well I may be changing my mind on that one. Being that my next marathon will be Boston in April of 2011, I am considering using this plan again since we will be training through the icy winter months. The FIRST plan would work nicely with only 3-4 days of running outside, and frequent track workouts since it gets dark early.

My legs have started to feel better since Steamtown. Wednesday morning they started to improve and today they feel even better. Yesterday I was able to go to the gym to do some upper body. I did chest, shoulders, biceps and triceps. Then I foam rolled for a bit and hit the hot tub and steam room. I felt great when I left. For good measure, I got a peanut butter banana shake on the way out. It felt great to get back to the gym. I hope to be able to go for a short run by the weekend!

Questions: Have you used the FIRST plan and what did you think? What is your favorite training plan? If you’ve run a marathon before, how many days do you wait after the race to run again?

4 comments:

Runners Fuel said...

I'm still in training for my first 1/2. I made my own training plan and have done races inbetween. It seems to be wokring, I'm getting faster. I'll know for sure in May.

Amber said...

AHH I'm so happy to see you achieved your goal! (just getting back to blog reading today and haven't seen your race recap yet). i cannot believe you ran a marathon SO FAST! That is awesome!!

This plan sounds interesting - I also love speedwork but I don't know if I would like only 3 days of running. Maybe? I am starting training for a sub 2-hour half in January so maybe i should try this method. Does it have half-marathon plans??

All Things Jaime said...

I'm glad you like it. I think a plan like this definitely has its perks but I can completely understand your dislikes, too!

9 days for me. I hope I hit my goal like you did!!

Laury@TheFitnessDish said...

Good luck with the new plan!!! You amaze me constantly with your number, shard work, and results!