Monday, September 6, 2010

Crossroads of Woodbridge 10K

Crossroads of Woodbridge 10K
September 5, 2010
A new PR!



Official Results
6.2 miles
40:47 minutes
6:33 average pace

25/170 finishers
1/48 women
1/7 age group

Garmin Stats
6.18 miles
40:52 minutes
6:36 average pace
5:18 best pace

Splits
Mile 1~6:33
Mile 2~6:38
Mile 3~6:35
Mile 4~6:41
Mile 5~6:44
Mile 6~6:34
Mile 6.2~5:44

Race Report
I decided to sign up for this race at the very last minute because I needed a middle distance race for a race series I am competing in (USATF-NJ Long Distance Grand Prix) I was down the shore for the weekend and drove up to meet my dad at the race. I am so glad I did because I won my first 10k and have a new 10k PR! Also, the $75 cash doesn’t hurt :) As you can tell from the results, this was a very small race. There were two races: a 5k, and a 10k and most people chose to run the 5k. Most races I have run with 2 distances, usually start together or start at different times. This race was different. We lined up a couple of hundred yards behind the 5k start. The course was the same, the 10k racers repeated the 5k loop. Immediately I did not like the start set up for the race. I lined up towards the front as I usually do, because I go out fast. As they explained the start to us, people started to complain. We lined up in the front so we wouldn’t have to weave in and out of runners, however, we would undoubtedly have to weave in and out of the back of the pack 5k races. It didn’t make sense to me. Also, I couldn’t understand why we lined up behind the 5k start because we finished in the same place. 2- 5k loops would equal 1- 10k so why were we pushed back? Also, the race was not a chip race. Therefore, what is to stop someone running the 10k, from lining up at the 5k to get a head start. Not that someone would intentionally do that but you never know. Being a USATF sanctioned race, I that they would have some of these glitches worked out. I probably wouldn’t be as annoyed if everything with the race went smoothly, but it did not.

My goal for the race was to stay between 6:30-6:45 for every lap (mile) which I did…until the end of course. I had a solid start, forcing myself to hold back and not try to pass too many 5k-ers. I still had another loop to do. At one point during the first loop, a coach or a father yelled to one of the girls I was running behind that she was in 3rd place (for the 5k). I tried to hold back but eventually passed her. It didn’t matter because we were running separate races. I reached the 5k finish right around 20 minutes and headed out to do my second loop. At some point during the beginning of the second loop a spectator yelled out that I was the first female. It was hard to tell because you didn’t know who was running which race but up until this point I was pretty sure I was first. I had passed the lead 5k runners and no women had passed me. I used the encouragement to push on. I would occasionally look back and there were no women in sight. I surged on, focusing on men to pass. Around mile 5, with one mile+ to go I picked it up. By mile 6 I knew I was going to win. I stepped it up some more. A spectator cheered and complimented my form. I felt like I was going to puke. I just wanted to get to that finish line. When I got there, the race director stepped in front of the shoot and put his hands up to slow me down. I like to finish as strong and as fast as I can. He ushered me through the shoot. Since there was no chip, they took the slip off the bottom of my bib. A friend from our running club was at the finish line and congratulated me on finishing first. Other people were congratulating me also. I got some water and went back to watch my dad finish. He finished in 46:53. We were both pleased with our finishes. I was happy I was able to PR on this course because it was not pancake flat.

Woodbridge Elevation

We went back to check the printed results…I was listed as 3rd! I was so deflated! I had already texted Dan that I had won and quickly wrote back that I had come in 3rd. Not that 3rd place is bad…at all…I was just so excited about having won my 3rd race and 2nd race in a row! I was thrilled I could run a competitive race in a longer distance (I had always hated the 10k). I kept going back to check the results wondering what had happened. Another women checking the results overheard my dad talking about it and she confirmed I was the first female finisher. She said she saw me cross first. That was it. My dad went over to the women calculating the results and said something. She said there was nothing she could do. I was so bummed. If I didn’t win it wasn’t a big deal but it was annoying not knowing. We went to the awards ceremony awhile later. I kept trying to tell myself that 3rd place is a great finish! They announced the male finishers. Our running club friend took 2nd! He got an envelope with cash inside! They moved onto the women…they called my name first! I did win! I received a plaque and $75 dollars cash. Just enough to buy a new pair of Mizunos for the marathon! After the awards, we thanked the woman and asked her what happened. I guess the 2 women ahead of me were 5k finishers that went through the wrong shoot or the person collecting the slips mixed up the order. They confirmed that I did win! Unfortunately, when I checked the official results on the website last night, they still had the wrong results posted! Come on people! I did this race for points and if I had to choose between the points or the money I would definitely take the points. We are contacting the race director tomorrow to get this all straightened out.

Pictures

DSC00093

DSC00098

If you look closely, you can see me smiling…

DSC00100

Love this plaque…

DSC00101

14 comments:

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

WOW! congrats!! You are so fast!! Thats so exciting to get first AND get a PR!! :D I like your plaque too! :)

Anonymous said...

You are so fast! I totally need your tips on getting fast like that, shoot even an 8-9 minute mile would be awesome to me :). Congratulations on winning, despite all of the stupid drama with whether or not you "actually" won, bleh! Plus that cash prize is not bad at all :).

Amy Lauren

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Awesome job and congrats on the win and PR!

All Things Jaime said...

Can you move to FL and train me?! You are so fast! Like ridiculously fast that I am officially jealous!! Great job!!

Amber said...

CONGRATULATIONS! That is sooo cool that you won. You are so fast!

Runners Fuel said...

WOW!! Awesome job!!

Stephanie said...

Awesome race, you are so fast! New shoe $ is always a plus too! Hope you get the result straightened out, you won first, you deserve the credit!

Anonymous said...

Yet again, AMAZING! That's an awesome award and way to kick ass!

Maureen Lisa said...

Yay!! Congrats. That's awesome, I'm so glad that you won!!

Tricia said...

whoohoo congrats!

Laury@TheFitnessDish said...

OMG!!! Way to go, Keri!! You are like Superwoman!! Fast!!!! All that hard work paid off, you are great!

Anonymous said...

AMAZING!! A PR and some extra cash?!? SCORE!!!

Anonymous said...

You are awesome- seriously! And cash- sweeet!

Robyn said...

I can't believe it wasn't a chip time race, even my dinky 5k's usually are. At least they figured out that you won and you got the cash! Congrats.