Thursday, September 30, 2010

Steamtown Training: Week 14 and 15

Good Morning! Happpy (rainy) Thursday (if you live on the east coast!) It has been raining all week. We got some sunshine for a bit yesterday but then it was back to the rain. This morning it has been pouring! I don’t mind so much if it rains during the week but it makes Cooper a stir crazy! He has been running laps around the apartment since we can’t stay outside for very long.

Marathon Training!
I am nearing the end of training…less than 10 days to go! I am nervous and excited and freaking out all at the same time. While I do feel prepared, there are so many things that can go wrong. Right now my main concern is staying healthy. Working at a school, I am constantly surrounded by GERMS! I have been juicing and disinfecting religiously. I have also been sleeping more than ever! As soon as I lay down at night on my couch to watch tv for a bit, I fall asleep before whatever I am watching is over! (Last night it was Hells Kitchen). I guess my body is trying to recover. I am still feeling the effects of Sunday’s half marathon so this week of running and workouts has been pretty slow. Last week:

Marathon Training: Week 14
Monday: REST
Tuesday: Track
Wednesday: Hills
Thursday: Recovery Run – 5 miles
Friday: REST
Saturday: REST
Sunday: Half Marathon

Total Miles: 28.66

This Week: (so far)

Marathon Training: Week 15
Monday: REST
Tuesday: Reformer Pilates + Core (Pushups and Plank w/ Back Row)
Wednesday: Recovery Run
Thursday:
Friday:
Saturday:
Sunday: Long Run- 10 miles (scheduled)

I will have to play the rest of the week by ear. I am really trying to focus on listening to my body, especially at this point in training. I don’t want to completely fall apart during taper but the half marathon really beat me up and I am trying to fully recover. I hope to get back on my training schedule by the weekend for my last 10 mile long run. I am working on a post about what my goals are for this marathon, so that should be up next week.

Enjoy this last day of September!

4 comments:

All Things Jaime said...

You're doing the right thing by listening to your body! Racing a half two weeks out is tough on your body and puts you in possibly jeapordizing your marathon. Less is better now ... even if it's driving your crazy. If you're still sore, go less this weekend. Maybe 8?! You want to feel rested when you toe the starting line!!!

Runners Fuel said...

Listening to your body is such an important task while (almost) tampering. Good luck on the marathon!

Running and living said...

I've had some tough runs lately, too, so I started tapering early (last long run today). You are going to do amazing, you have plenty of time to get tapered up!

Laury@TheFitnessDish said...

You're doing all the right things...I get freaked over germs, and juice extra, drunk TONS of herbal tea with lots of ginger root and some honey, and wash my hands like a freak!!! Best of luck in the last 10 days of training, you are awesome!!

Thanks so much for the beautiful wishes today, it meant a lot :-)

xxoo