Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Track Workout Fail and Hills

Yesterday morning, I met my dad at the track. It is getting colder and darker in the mornings! I had to wear long sleeves for the first time in months! It was a little chilly but definitely better than the heat we had this summer.

The workout: 8 x 800 @ 3:13 (6:26 pace)

…turned into 5 x 800. I can’t exactly pinpoint it but something just wasn’t right about this workout. I had been looking forward to the 800s all of training but something didn’t feel right so I cut it short. It may have had something to do with the weather…it was 6am and 42 degrees outside. I don’t think my lungs were used to the cold. Or it could have been too close to the 20-miler I ran this weekend. My quads felt a little “loose.” It is hard to describe. They didn’t exactly hurt but felt like they could fall apart at any second. I decided I couldn’t take that risk…this is supposed to be a taper, you know :)

Stats:
5.0 miles
7:49 pace
5:31 best pace

Splits: all with a 400 meter jog in between.
#1~ 3:16 (6:23)
#2~ 3:09 (6:14)
#3~ 3:15 (6:21)
#4~ 3:18 (6:31)
#5~ 3:16 (6:27)

I stopped after 5, cooled down, and called it a day.

Today, I felt much better and decided to do a couple of hills with my dad. I am really trying to not go overboard, but I figured hills are a great way to get the heart rate up without moving the legs too fast. I didn’t go all out but I was definitely breathing heavily. It was quite a change from yesterday’s chilly workout because it was practically 90 degrees this afternoon! I won’t bore you with the details but here is a pic for proof:

fairmount elevation

5 Hill Repeats w/ jog down

8 comments:

Laury@TheFitnessDish said...

It was sooo chilly this morning, I went to work real early...then by noon it's 90, bleh!

All Things Jaime said...

It's so funny that you mentioned you had to break out the long sleeves for the first time. At track yesterday, I wore a tank top (that was a first in the past 3-4 months). HAHA

Good job listening to your body! Rest is key during the taper. You want to feel your best come marathon day, not tired or sore.

Stephanie said...

I agree I have actually brough shirts back out for my runs, and when I say shirts, like Jaime I mean tank tops :) I am itching for the day I can bring the long sleeves out of hiding.

Definitely don't push too hard right now, you are so well training, 1 short track session is not going to make or break your race. Way to play it smart!

Stephanie said...

I agree I have actually brough shirts back out for my runs, and when I say shirts, like Jaime I mean tank tops :) I am itching for the day I can bring the long sleeves out of hiding.

Definitely don't push too hard right now, you are so well training, 1 short track session is not going to make or break your race. Way to play it smart!

Runners Fuel said...

It's best to stop when you think something isn't right. I know I have to do that some times.

Running and living said...

I remember using FIRST and during the first week of taper feeling like no , this is NOT taper. You'll actually feel taper the following week, though. You have a ton of speed, so no worry about cutting the track workout short. Right now the hay is in the barn, better do less than risk something. You are going to rock your marathon, sub 3:30 for sure!

Tricia said...

great job on the hills

Lisa said...

sorry about the disappointing workout. I know what it's like to be less than thrilled with how a workout ends up when you went into it with great expectations. The most important thing is to do what you can and then move on and look forward to the next time. Hope you've had some great workouts since this one!