“Even if I don’t reach any of my goals, I’ve gone higher than I would have if I hadn’t set any”
-Danielle Fotopoulos, soccer player
The countdown is on…I am less than a week away from running my second marathon. I am approaching this marathon different that I approached Philadelphia. Last year, I just wanted to finish. I wanted to be able to call myself a marathoner. This year I have goals I want to achieve.
I have 3 goals:
#1- My number 1 and main goal is to qualify for Boston. To do this I need to run the marathon in 3:40 or less (really I think it is 3:40:59 or less). I do not want to get greedy or overly ambitious and go out to fast, only to shut down during the final 10k. I want to be conservative in this race. Once I have a BQ under my belt, I would love to see how fast I can run a marathon, but I am afraid to blow it without already having a BQ.
#2- My back up goal is just to improve on last year’s time of 3:55. I only have one marathon under my belt and my dad and I ran Philadelphia together last year. I am nervous going into Steamtown this year because my dad and I have chosen to run our own races. 26 miles is a long time to run by yourself and I have completed most of my long training runs with my dad. I hope I don’t get too lonely.
#3- My ambitious goal *and the time I have spent 15 weeks training for* is to break 3:30. About 15 years ago, my dad ran his very first marathon (which I helped him train for, even though I was only 11 at the time). He ran the Atlantic City Marathon in 3 hours and 30 minutes and he told me to do the best I can to break his best time. Anything faster than that will be considered a bonus. According to Run Less, Run Faster, my half marathon PR claims I could reasonably train for a 3:15 marathon. This will not be happening in Steamtown! Maybe some day :)
Yesterday when I was at my parent’s house, my dad told me he had something to go in my running scrapbook. He said it had to go on the first page. I was skeptical and had no idea what he could possibly have. Then he showed me.
The bib from the first race I ever ran, a 1 mile fun run in my hometown. (My dad ran the 5k and I guess the bibs were the same for both races) This was on March 31, 1996 and I was 12 years old. I ran 1 mile in 7 minutes and 50 seconds. If you look closely you can see my 12 year old handwriting :)
11 comments:
How sweet is your dad? I love that.
You are going to blow through those goals, I think. You've had such a consistently great record of races this year. I'll see you in Boston, and I bet you're in a faster corral than me!!
Wow that is really cool. Your dad is awesome. Good luck with your BQ goal.
I love that he kept the bib! I have Dizzle's first race bib from a 1/4 mile fun run when she was 3.
You are going to get that BQ. I am sure of it!
You will be able to BQ!! Good luck!!
You're going to do great! So excited for you!
i absolutely love how your dad kept your first bib! How cool is that?! seriously! If my dad gave me that (and had I been running when I was 12) I would definitely put it first page on my scrapbook! :D
GOOD LUCK this weekend!! You will do amazing, no doubt about it!! :D Have fun and I hope you dont get lonely either! :)
Great post on your goals! I'm in a similar situation with my main goal being a BQ, but hoping to hit closer to 3:30. I'm unsure of what pace I should go out at though, since I don't want to be on pace for 3:30, then totally die and miss 3:40 as well! But I also don't want to be too conservative either.
Any ideas on what your pacing strategy will be? Good luck, you'll do amazing!!
First, you are totally going to kill your BQ goal!!!! And the 3:30 goal? I see that as happening too!
Good luck and I that bib is so awesome!
So cool you got that bib! Your goals are so reasonable and with your training I know you'll run a BQ :) Good luck!
Rebecca~ I tried to reply to you but couldn't! I plan to pace myself for a 3:30 marathon (about 8:00) because that is what I have been training around and it is actually a pretty comfortable pace for me. If I can keep it up, and feel good, I hope to pick up the pace in the last 10k. If not, I should have enough of a cushion to *hopefully* get that BQ! Good Luck!
Thank you to everyone for all your kind words and well wishes!
How awesome that your Dad saved the bib! I wish I had all mine from the past 5k's I've done. One thing I'm happy with, I did save all my times from my cross country days. I want to start a running scrapbook, just not sure where to begin. Good luck with yours (and good luck on the upcoming marathon!)
Post a Comment