Monday, October 25, 2010

Magazine Wars

Despite the wayy too-early holiday ads that my monthly subscription of fitness mags delivered, I was especially impressed with this month’s issues. Here are some of the best tips and articles I read this month:

From Fitness Magazine:

image

Beat the Clock
The fountain of youth may be reached on foot. Marathoners who were tested after completing a race in a recent study from the University of Rome had fewer dying white cells in their blood than before hand, an indication that intense exercise slows the aging of body tissues.

From Women’s Health:

image

Your Best Body: Flat-Ab Pilates pg. 53

Many of you know I love Pilates and swear by its results. This month, Women’s Health published a 2-page spread complete with a Pilates route you can do at home. They include using a Pilates ball in their routine, however, you can do the entire route at home without any equipment, except maybe a mat.

Mermaid
Footwork
Swan
Mermaid with Twist
Back Arm Row
Rollover
Roll up
Coordination

Also be sure to check out:

~The Secret Life of Green Tea (pg. 88)

~Make your Own Luck (pg. 107)

From SELF

image

Cool your heels: Sky-high shoes can reshape leg muscles, shortening muscle fibers and making Achilles tendons thicker and stiffer-which can cause discomfort when you’re wearing flats, a study from Manchester Metropolitan University notes. Stretches such as calf raises can help soothe your soles.

In keeping with the ‘Luck’ theme…

Charmed Life: Not all superstitions are hoeey. People who carry a lucky charm feel more confident and do better on tests of memory and agility, according to a study from the University of Cologne. Hold on to those lucky socks; they might give you the edge you need.

Lose Weight Like a Guy

Eat Real Food: Guys don’t usually munch on things like 100-calorie snack packs; research shows men are less likely to eat goods labeled diet or low-cal. And that’s fine because you get more nutrients and avoid sneaky saturated fat by fueling up on whole foods, which are also more psychologically filling.

Love how this article provides a barbell routine! Most fitness mags provide workouts that recommend free weights encouraging light weights and high reps. Not that there is anything wrong with that, however, it is nice to see a mag encouraging women to “workout like a guy” and not be afraid to sweat or hit the weight room!

The Brain: New science shows you how to keep your head healthy and feel more creative, focused and quick-witted than you ever imagined.

Number #1 on the list of how to enhance your cognitive health?
Break a sweat. Physical exercise may be one of the best ways to maintain cognitive function as you age…research showed that exercise significantly increases the rate of blood flow to the hippocampus, a brain region vital to memory, which generates new cell growth and improves mental processing.

These are just some of the things I found interesting in this month’s issues. What mags are you addicted to? I get all of these plus Runner's World of course!

9 comments:

Running and living said...

So I used to read all these magazines and then one day I realized that they were all repeating themselves. I don't even read Runner's World anymore, bc I feel that is more for beginners. I do love the Triathlete magazine. I also read a ton of running/tri book, pretty much everything I can put my finger on.

mmmonyka said...

I LOVE reading magazines and books about exercise/health but the thing is that I never do anything what they say. I just read it for inspiration or something like that. I am not 100% sure why I read them. I do not think I can really benefit from them, I have been training and exercising for many years now and what they say is almost never new to me. I agree with the previous comment that they repeat themselves and are mostly for beginners (of course if I want to start doing a new sport then I might benefit from them. I might check Triathlete magazine out. I have read couple French version issues and have not liked them that much. Maybe US version is better.) Therefore I do not think that it is worth the money.
When I find them in a library or a bookstore then I read them, but I do not buy them (only for long flights or rides).

Stephanie said...

Magazines are my indulgence! I get those 3 plus Shape, Redbook, and Runner's World, I am mildly addicted

Laury @The FitnessDish said...

Great tips in the mags!! I stopped subscribing to all these years ago in my attempt to go green, and for the fact that they all started becoming redundant. However, looks like they are getting some quality info back out there! LOVE all those pilates moves!! I have been nervous about doing pilates since the pregnancy...my ligaments are starting to stretch, it's actually quite painful. Been wanting to get a prenatal pilates DVD...wish there were classes offered locally!

You must be psyched about the white blood cell fact!

chris mcpeake said...

so many mags, so little time to read them all. Usually only get around to the running ones.

Unknown said...

I get SO many fitness mags but a lot of them are putting too much beauty/fashion stuff in them now so I am not renewing my sub's on a lot of them.
I LOVE Oxygen, Clean Eating, RW and Triatlete-
I skim the rest...

Runners Fuel said...

I love the Fitness magazine.

Angela (the diet book junkie) said...

thanks for the tips! i love these magazines, although now that i live in Australia, i only read online (can you imagine paying $15 for a copy of Self??? i don't think so.)

the point about eating like a guy reminded of something i'd read recently, how guys don't eat "diet" food because they don't see it as masculine. that's why coke created "coke zero" to tap into the male audience who wouldn't buy "diet coke" for fear of looking like a girl. true story!

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

Hello! First of all how do you look so beautiful in all of your race photos? I am jealous! I am glad you found my blog because that led me to yours and I LOVE it. Officially hooked. Thanks for the magazine summaries. I usually only buy one or two a month so this will help me determine which ones to get:) Boston 2011:)