
Jillian Michaels is on the cover of this month's Women's Health. (This is last month's cover, as I couldn't get a pic of the current issue.) How do you feel about Jillian? I am honestly not a huge fan. I love the Biggest Loser, I think she is great on the show and I have been wanting to try The Shred that so many of you love. She has her own diet pills, and while I do not know much about her product, I just find it difficult to believe that a personal trainer is endorsing diet pills as a quick fix to weight loss. Shouldn't they be promoting hard work and discipline? I don't know, maybe I have this attitude because I would never take weight loss pills, I guess it just rubs me the wrong way.
Anyway, regardless, Jillian looks great, and I'm sure she works hard for this bod:
In the article, Jillian said one thing I liked and one thing I disliked. She give's "Jillian's Top Training Tips" and in this section she advises:Step up the Intensity
She says, "It's actually an antiquated fitness myth that working out at a lower intensity will help burn more fat. Instead, work to 85% of your maximum heart rate. The greater the intensity, the quicker you'll start to see results."
Now, I'm not sure if this is a "myth" because I'm pretty sure it has been scientifcally proven that working aerobically does burn fat, however, I also think it is so important to work anaerobically as well in order to see results. Both aerobic and anaerobic workouts are important to being all around physically fit. Additionally, this same issue of Women's Health, reported that a recent study concluded that "steady-state cardio is not the most effective way to shed fat." They claim that "the secret to torching fat and sculpting muscle is quick bursts of intense exercise followed by brief periods of rest." So it is a good thing I have been doing my speed work :)
At the end of the article, Jillian mentions she wants to have children one day and hopes to adopt. While I think adoption is a wonderful option, it was her reason that annoyed me. She actually said, "I can't imagine doing that to my body." I guess it is a good thing she knows she cannot handle the changes pregnancy brings, however, I found her comment a bit ignorant. Pregnancy is a natural and healthy part of life and while I'm sure it takes a toll on the body, in my opinion, it is something that seems so worth it to me.
I don't know, am I being insensitive? It just seemed so strange to me, coming from someone who seems so sure of herself and who has come such a long way with her own health and body. Her job is to inspire people and help them become confident and believe in themselves and it almost seems like she is afraid to let her body go because might not be able to get it back again. What do you think? Perhaps this is a normal fear, I mean, she is only human right?
8 comments:
I read the article too and agree with so much of what you are saying. The pregnancy comment is not cool--she should know as a trainer that women can come back stronger than ever after pregnancy. Also, the diet pills--not cool! And finally, I suppose I agree with the intensity thing, when not applied to running. You have to have both with running or you will end up injured. Ultimately, the magazine's editors are at fault b/c they have the final say as to what goes into print.
I just finished reading this mag last night and was also pretty disgusted at her view on pregnancy. I just gave birth to my daughter 10 months ago and am now in the best shape of my life. To not experience life's greatest miracle for what sounds like a very superficial reason, really takes her down a notch.
First of all let me say I USED to love Jillian, until she came out with the diet pills... and then my respect for her just plummeted... I think we've had enough research and enough real life prove that diet pills are a waste of money and can be really dangerous to your health so to see someone so famous and admired for being a fitness guru endorsing such a product made me so ANGRY! I thought she looked terrible on the cover... really who was the stylist for that shoot they should be fired! I also think that her views on pregnancy are shameful... I think people often fall into the bad habit of treating pregnancy like it is a sickness or something... news flash JILL your body was made to carry a child and give birth... I think it just proves that at the end of the day she's very shallow and way too caught up in her image! I do however, have to say that I am glad she said the bit about low intensity cardio, because I think that has been overemphasized for far too long... at least at my gym over half the people on the machines aren't even sweating... and I'm sorry if you can read a magazine or a book while you're on the machine... well then you might as well get off because you just aren't working!
I USED to like her, and the show, but they both sold out. Yes, I think she is a sell out. And I agree, a true personal trainer would never endorse diet pills. UGH!
Ps- I did shred a lot, and I did love it, but I refuse to support her products.
The Shred is an AWESOME workout and I love it BUT I can't stand Jillian and have to mute her! Ha!!
I'm kind of torn on her, some things she says annoy me. And all the fitness "experts" who say that running for long periods of time does nothing for you are idiots in my opinion. Obviously they've never trained for and completed an endurance race. Not only is it good for your body but it's AMAZING for your mind. And that's important too!
Hi I am new to your blog and was just reading your post and wanted to comment. I can understand with jillian and the pregnancy thing but at the same time I think it is a little selfish. At this time in my life I cant imagine having a child partly because of the change to my body. I like how I feel and look now and have fears about being able to lose the weight after giving birth. I think that when I am ready to have children, the weight issue wont be a concern anymore. maybe she just cant get over the part about gaining the weight and losing the endurance, etc that she has gained. Of course it is a personal choice and having children is natural but I guess some ppl just don't have that desire that others have.
I don't watch TBL, but of course I've heard of and have seen Jillian. She is annoying. She seems so fake when she talks, she would drive me nuts. It also seems she is not that smart - putting the comment about not having kids so she does not mess up her body is probably not going to make her popular with the women; also, it shows insecurity about being able to get her body back after pregnancy!
I think she's so annoying and so uck! I can't stand to look at her. I like a lot of what she says about working hard but other times she can be such an ass. Also, I always feel like she's flexing constantly. It's so annoying. I also think that her diet stuff is just ridiculous. She probably says it's healthy blah blah blah but it's still just ridiculous. About the baby comment, she's just crazy. I agree that it's scary to have your body change that much or to worry about the baby but I also feel like she's just saying that. I don't think she'll ever get married either. I thought she was gay. Not that gay people can't have children or there is anything against them...I played and now coach softball so anyone reading this don't even attempt to tell me I'm homophobic or being a bitch bc be serious...but I just think she doesn't know enough about the topic or even has thought of that idea really happening. She is just talking to talk. Ha - yeah obviously have strong opinions of her. I just think when that many people are listening to you, you have to be really careful what you're saying. She's just an idiot.
Post a Comment