Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Advanced Marathoning Book Review


Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger

Advanced Marathoning is broken into two parts:
~Training Components
~Training Programs

What I Learned:
~So many factors affect recovery. So many that will have its own post.
~Marathoners can almost double their muscle glycogen stores by doing a long run 7 days before a race, then eating a low-carb diet for 3 days followed by a high carb diet for 3 days before the race. However, carb depletion and loading increases your risk of getting sick, which you can NOT afford to do that close to the big day!
~I want to check out the book, Vegetarian Sports Nutrition. I have never even heard of this book...

What I Liked:
~The book talked about developing a periodized training plan. The author advises to organize training into macrocycles, mesocycles, and microcycles.
~Gives recovery plan for after the marathon.
~Allows for tune up races!
~Shows a variety of training plans for people interested in different amounts of weekly training. It was so interesting to see what a training plan would look like for someone running more than 85 miles per week! If you want to see what insanity looks like, check it out!
~There was a great section on running form drills, something I have been wanting to add to my training, but never do. Suggested drills include: Skip march walk, skip march run, kickout, and fast feet.

Some Criticism:
I liked this book, but it wasn't as informative as some of the other running books I have read. I also thought it was a little basic. Some of the chapters included: Nutrition and hydration, supplementary training, tapering, race day strategy, etc. Maybe because I already read so many other books, but I already knew a lot of the information. Still, it is always good to be reminded. Another criticism I have is that the book is a little repetitive. Don't get me wrong, it is a good book, but there wasn't much that was said that I hadn't heard before. I always like to check out new and different training plans and while I probably won't follow a specific training plan from this book, there are definitely some workouts in here that I would like to try!

Have you read this book? What did you think?

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Advanced Marathoning has been on my to read list for a few months now. I figured I probably shouldn't go out and get it until I actually run my first marathon and make sure I don't hate it, ha!
Glad you liked it, I will have to give it a try!

The Undomestic Mom said...

sounds like a great book!!

All Things Jaime said...

I agree with you! I mostly bought the book so I could have the Pfitz plans (just in case). Ha.

Robyn said...

Sounds intense. Interesting about the low carb and then high carb diet though. I'm definitely interested in hearing more about the recovery and what they suggest.

Anonymous said...

Following the 12 week 55-70 mile a week program. I'm capping out at 65 mile weeks. I'm enjoying it so far.

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

I actually haven't read any running books yet but i added this one to my list to check out :D