Plank with Row
Muscles Worked: Back, Shoulders, Core (Glutes w/ leg lift- see advanced #2)
Directions:
1.) Start in plank position, holding a 5-8 lb. dumbbell in each hand. You can be in plank on your feet or on your knees, but either way, keep your back flat and your head in line with your spine.
Level #1: Modified Push-up Position (on knees)
Level #2: Push-up Position w/ Legs Jacked Out
Level #3: Push-up Position
2.) Choose 1 side to start with. Lift the dumbbell, bend at the elbow, and pull back toward the ceiling into a row. Do not turn your body. Squeeze your core and stay as still as possible. Only the arm should be moving.
3.) Alternate sides for 8-12 reps per side.
For those of you who are more advanced…
Advanced #1: Push-up THEN Row
1.) Start in the plank position, perform one push-up, then row on one side. Push up again and row on the other side. Repeat.
Advanced #2: 2 Point Plank Row
1.) Perform steps 1-2 of the standard Plank Row, but lift the opposite leg, so you are basically in a two point plank.
2.) Switch arms and legs and repeat.
Note: This is an advanced exercise! Do not attempt this exercise until you have mastered the plank! Good luck!
Have you tried this workout before? What do you think?
4 comments:
That looks like a pretty killer move! My core is certainly not as toned or strong as it used to be, but I am not sure I have the coordination to even attempt such things. I really thing the minute I stopped dancing my balance disappeard and my coordination slowly followed as I have aged. I will have to give this a try and see if I can manage to get in a few reps before face planting!
Behind on my comments, but two wins in a row is great. And it seemed like the field was pretty deep for this one!
I am totally obsessed with this move...LOVE making clients do it especially ;-)
Modified Push Ups -As I read your blog post, I couldn’t help but think of the Push Up Bench as the most effective way for people who struggle with push ups , to be able to do them correctly (with full range of motion). Most modified push ups make them easier but only allow one or two variations. The Push Up Bench has 11 different levels to work through on the way to a full push up.
Post a Comment