Good Morning!
I got up at 4:45 this morning to make it to a 5:30 spin class so I am blogging from a bar stool in my parents' kitchen before work :) (The school I work at is right behind their house...very convenient!)
Since I am giving my knee a break from running, I decided to start spinning more, to keep my legs in shape and lost as little fitness as possible. Unfortunately, I am not yet familiar with the spin-lingo and therefore gave myself a harder workout than anticipated. At my gym we have the older spin bikes...the ones with the resistance nob that you turn. Right to increase the resistance and left to decrease it. So the instructor kept telling us it was going to be a hard class and he was going to really challenge us today, etc, etc. (keep in mind I just started up with spinning again this weekend and was still a little sore from the seat.) So he keeps telling us to turn it up. 5 more turns. 5 more. Add another 5. And all the while he is telling us to keep the pace. Go faster. By now I am sweating profusely and can hardly turn the peddles. I look around. How in the world is everyone going so fast?! Then he says turn it up again. He says we are going to stay there for the next 10 minutes. Are you kidding me?! I cannot possibly turn the nob up any farther. I suck it up and stay there for 10 minutes, getting slower and slower and everyone else is still speeding away. The rest of the class pretty much goes on like this and I survive it. After class I ask my friend if we were supposed to turn the wheel one entire rotation each time the instructor told us to add one. He looked at me as if I were crazy. No, he said. each time was only supposed to be 1/8 of a turn. So when he said turn it up 5 more, we weren't even supposed to turn it a full rotation?! No. No wonder I couldn't do it!! I am an idiot.
That made me feel much better because I was starting to question my strength! Oh well, now I know for next time.
Spinners: Any tips or other things I should know for next time??
Don't forget to enter my giveaway!

13 comments:
oh my word! i can only imagine how hard that must have been! my legs hurt just a little to think about it... how's your knee with the spinning? hope the recovery continues to go smoothly.
i've actually never done spinning. it's always scared me a little...all the yelling and sweating...
I usually try and do a 1/2 turn for each one they say, just so that I can get in a good workout, and that usually ends up feeling kind of like a tempo run. I feel like the spin instructors at my gym are kind of soft- haha!
Great job, you definitely got a killer workout.
every spin instructor is different so I am always off for the first class when I switch it up. Plus we have the older bikes too and I feel like each one is different in terms of resistance! I am sure next time will be better!
Wow-you are amazing! Spinning I hear, is such a great workout and for you to be able to still PEDDLE while at such a high resistance....wow.... =)
That would make it difficult! I recommend keeping a pace that works for you (especially in the begining). Drink lots of water!!
NO!!!! I am so sorry girl, but you got a KILLER workout. I am pretty sure I was the opposite when I first started spin and had it on the absolute lowest gear. At least your way was a crazy hard workout! 445 is so early, you are my hero and that is so nice your parents live so close to your work!
My biggest advice if you have the mula to do so is to buy clip in cycling shoes! They help so much, I feel like I can go so much faster and heavier tension with them! I wish we could go to spin classes together! Have an amazing day!
Hahahaha oohhh no!
I used to be a hardcore spinner (like 3-4 times per week) but have gotten out of it. Now I go once a week to a 45-minute morning class on Thursdays. My instructors have always said "1/4 turn" or "full rotation" though so that helps with not turning it up TOO much :P Good for you for sticking it out though!
I actually went back for the first time last week and was all cocky because, you know, I'm a marathoner now ;) Ya spinning kicked my butt!!! Served me right! Ha
oh dear! lol... i probably would've done the same thing as you! lol... you got a really hard workout! lol... hopefully you wont be too sore! :)
LOL, funny spinning story. I haven't done a spinning class in YEARS! I always hated it. I should try and get into it again, I may actually like it this time around. The teachers have changed since I have taken them, I think it has a lot to do with it. That, and not having classes at times I can go.
You are SUPER hard-core getting up at 4:45 for that class!!! Seriously, I WISH I had your discipline!
Haha, that just proves how much of a badass you are!
LOL! You are super duper fit (duh) because I don't think I could get the wheels on the bike to turn if I rotated the dial 5 turns!
But I will say, it took me awhile to get into spinning. In general its difficult for me to find the right tension on the bike.
WOW- you must have been dying!!!
The only thing I do, and mostly because I sweat like a pig and need to drink 3907 gallons of water, is bring two bottles. And I use my bike shoes which makes pedaling easier.
WOW! you did get a killer workout. I have been wanting to try out spinning (and have yet to do so) and our Y has the same old spin bikes with the dial-I will keep this in mind when I finally do get to that class!! :)
Yay for early morning workouts too. Im a early girl and 10:45 at night Im sound asleep.
Post a Comment