Wednesday, October 21, 2009

One Month! (and some reflections on training)

Soo tomorrow will be exactly one month until the Philadelphia Marathon! I am nervous and excited. I have 2 long runs left to do and then I taper. I am looking forward to this weekend's long run because we will be doing it on a quiet trail. The worst part of the long runs for me is worrying about the traffic! In NJ there are always cars everywhere and the roads we run on are not very runner friendly. Much of this weekend's route is on a dirt road, which I am not used to but hopefully it will lead to a relaxing and beautiful long run!

I am feeling good after the Harvest 10K. The race seemed to go by unusually quickly and while my time wasn't what I hoped it was, I finished 3rd, and more importantly, I felt good. I think the marathon training I have been doing has definitely improved my endurance and while my speed hasn't improved, thats not what is important right now. I just have to keep telling myself that. Its also interesting how my feelings have changed towards long runs. I was never very fond of 10-12 mile runs. I would just rather do short fast runs or speed work. I was afraid that I was a decent short-distance runner but would never succeed (or enjoy) running a marathon. What kind of runner is that?? Fortunately, I have come to love the long run! For some inexplicable reason, I actually enjoy the looooong long runs (20+) better than the middle distance long runs.

It has also been so nice to run in the cool fall weather. I was always more of a summer weather girl but I have been enjoying fall lately! It is just so hard to breathe and enjoy a run in the hot and humid summer. I hope it lasts for awhile and doesn't turn to snow too quickly! Last weekend I bought my first pair of arm guards which I am loving. It makes me feel like a real runner. I love seeing pics of elite runners in snowy conditions wearing shorts, a sports bra, a beenie and arm guards. Of course I am way too chicken to ever wear something like that in the snow but I think its a great look :)
Check it out: Tera Moody and others at the Shamrock Shuffle!

No comments: