Finished a 23 a mile run today! The longest distance I have ever run...EVER. The training log we are semi-following says to do about 5- 20 mile runs before the marathon. We decided to modify our training so that we do the full 26 before the big day. I never understood why most training regimes don't require running 26 miles or longer. To prevent injury? Or is it simply to not scare people away? For most race distances, you run farther in training than in the actual race. But almost every marathon training plan I have seen only goes up to 20 or 22 miles. Why is that?? Regardless, today we were only supposed to do 20, but completed 23 and in two weeks we hope to do a full 26 miles...slowly. For the last long run (a few weeks before Philadelphia) we will take it back down to 20.
I am feeling pretty strong after this morning's training run. Tired and a bit sore, but I am still enjoying my post-long run runner's high : ) one of the best parts of our sport. I am sad that I won't be able to run tomorrow but plan to take advantage of the opportunity to go to Pilates with my mom. I will definitely be one of those people who get a little down after the marathon they have been training for months for is over. I am supposed to be relaxing/recovering now but I am finding it difficult to sit still. Good thing the new Runner's World came today. That should keep me sitting for awhile.
On a non-running related note, this afternoon my (non-runner) boyfriend and I went to a local farm to pick pumpkins and support our local farmers : ) It was a fun thing to do on this beautiful fall day. I will post pictures.
No comments:
Post a Comment