Saturday, October 17, 2009

Rainy Weather, Training Runs and Fall Races

Sooo its raining again in NJ...big shocker there. Apparently there are 2 noreasters (sp?) coming through. I even hear that parts of PA and NY got snow! Now, I am a teacher and am all for snow days but this is TOO EARLY! Fortunately we didn't get snow here (yet). I'm sure its only a matter of time.
This weekend I was planning on going out and doing a 26 mile run. I know most training programs don't require or even recommend a 26 mile training run but all the research I've done (yes research) suggests it is a good idea. I figure many people hit the wall around 20-22 miles which is what is usually the recommended long run in most training programs. I figure if I cover the entire distance in training, I have a better chance of not hitting the dreaded wall. I guess I will find out. Unfortunately, I won't be doing the big 26 miler this weekend for a number of reasons. First, the weather. Its not only raining, but cold too! Mid-40s during the day and well into the 30s at night. That is not normal, even for NJ in October. Warm rain I can deal with but this icy, cold, wet stuff is the pits. I can manage short distances in it but 26...no thank you. The 2nd issue is USATF. I am missing 2 nonchampionship races. I need a medium length race (8k-10k) and a long race (anything over a 15k. This seriously limits the races I can do and I have narrowed it down to 2 possible races for my medium distance. The most convenient race to do is tomorrow and although it will most likely rain , I would much rather run 6.2 miles in the rain than 26.2! So this weekend is out for the long run. Next weekend I will be away in Lake George and unable to run that long of a distance by myself in an area I am unfamiliar with. I guess I will have to get it in somewhere. If it were easy to run marathons everyone would do it right??

1 comment:

Denise said...

I actually think it's a good idea that you didn't run that 26 miler. A lot of research says that there's no benefit in going over 20 miles. We're so close to race day, you don't want to risk getting injured. Save those last 6 for race day...if you eat and drink right through the run, you won't hit that wall. Sorry, just my two cents and what I've learned along the way...