I cannot believe it is here. In less than 2 days I will be crossing a major goal off of my life goals list. (Among others: write novel, own home, travel to Europe) That is exactly how big this is for me. While I have been running and racing for quite a few years now, I have always excelled at shorter distances (Read: 5Ks)and for awhile I was content with those distances and didn't aspire to run marathons. How times have changed. I did once train for a marathon, however. Long before I was a runner myself I used to ride my bike with my Dad while he trained for his first marathon, Atlantic City, NJ. In 1995, when I was 11 years old I would get up at 5am on Sunday mornings and ride my rainbow bright bike and go with my Dad on 20+ mile runs. I had a very important job at such a young age: I was coach, motivator, and the all important fuel holder. I trained with him right up until race day and then I turned into cheerleader. He finished his first marathon in 3:30. 14 years later, my Dad and I are still training for marathons together, but this time we both run. This will be my Dad's first marathon since Atlantic City 14 years ago so he likes to say we are both running our first marathons in Philly. We plan to run and cross the finish line together (hopefully with a time not too far from his first marathon time!) We have been training for months and it is finally here!
Friday, November 20, 2009
Marathon Weekend and my Start as a Runner
I cannot believe it is here. In less than 2 days I will be crossing a major goal off of my life goals list. (Among others: write novel, own home, travel to Europe) That is exactly how big this is for me. While I have been running and racing for quite a few years now, I have always excelled at shorter distances (Read: 5Ks)and for awhile I was content with those distances and didn't aspire to run marathons. How times have changed. I did once train for a marathon, however. Long before I was a runner myself I used to ride my bike with my Dad while he trained for his first marathon, Atlantic City, NJ. In 1995, when I was 11 years old I would get up at 5am on Sunday mornings and ride my rainbow bright bike and go with my Dad on 20+ mile runs. I had a very important job at such a young age: I was coach, motivator, and the all important fuel holder. I trained with him right up until race day and then I turned into cheerleader. He finished his first marathon in 3:30. 14 years later, my Dad and I are still training for marathons together, but this time we both run. This will be my Dad's first marathon since Atlantic City 14 years ago so he likes to say we are both running our first marathons in Philly. We plan to run and cross the finish line together (hopefully with a time not too far from his first marathon time!) We have been training for months and it is finally here!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Good luck!! We're going to have a great day! Are you running with a pace group?
Post a Comment