When I first started running half marathons, I would get sick after each one I ran! Literally the next day, I would come down with a cold. According to The Complete Book of Running for Women, by Claire Kowalchik, as well as many other sources (I believe Runner's World also touched on this, I just don't remember what issue!) "Though running generally strengthens your immune system, too much running can wear it down, which is why it is not uncommon for a runner to catch a cold after completing a marathon." For this reason, The Runner's World article I read, recommended avoiding public places, i.e., airports, malls, SCHOOLS. Unfortunately, since I am a TEACHER, avoiding school is not exactly an option (although sometimes I wish it was :) And interestingly, I scheduled a personal day the Monday after my Sunday Marathon and I didn't get sick!
After catching a mild version of the flu, (possibly swine because my student teacher had it!) a chest/coughing virus, and then a regular cold a week later, I had HAD it! Inspired by some of my favorite healthy living bloggers:
Lily's Health Pad, Jenna at
Eat, Live, Run, and Caitlin from Healthy Tipping Point, (If you haven't already, you should check out the blogs of these amazing ladies!) I decided to take a trip to Whole Foods! As of a few weeks ago, I had already increased my tea intake to 3-5 cups a day, and started eating 1 yogurt a day, and I was still getting sick! To be clear, I did catch an unusual amount of colds/viruses this flu season, but I also noticed that they tended to be milder and more short lived than everyone else around me. Also, since I teach special ed (kids with severe Autism, ED, etc.) I come into contact with more germs than your typical teacher. I figured I needed to do more in terms of healthy eating, so I decided to decrease my meat intake and increase the veggies and whole grains. I am unable to do allll of my shopping at Whole Foods (I am a teacher, remember :) but I was able to get a few essential items:
As you can see from the picture, not ALL of the items are from Whole Foods, and all the items I bought were not photographed (I am relatively new to this blogging thing and didn't think to take a pic until after I put everything away!) Regardless, these items are my attempt to eat healthier! In this picture we have: Yogi teas (my new fav), Amy's soup and an Amy's veggie burrito (I have been reading so many good things about this brand and now I know why! I am obsessed...must buy more!) some Greek yogurt (which I haven't tried yet) and some regular organic yogurt just in case I don't like the Greek yogurt. I also got some unpictured soy yogurt which I LOVED btw. There is also some Tofu, which I incorporated into tonight's dinner, chick peas (love), fresh ground peanut butter and almond butter, and of course Oatmeal (another new kick of mine). Since this picture was taken, the oatmeal, almond butter, and burrito are already gone. Guess I will have to go back to Whole Foods sooner than I thought! I think I need a raise...
I promise an actual post about RUNNING is coming soon!
2 comments:
Thanks for the shout out! I'm definitely honored to be mentioned in the same post as Jenna and Caitlin.
I love Whole Foods...sigh. If only I could afford to shop there every week. Thankfully, the closest one is more than 30 minutes from my house. The distance is great at keeping me away!
very good blog, congratulations
regard from Reus Catalonia
thank you
Post a Comment