Sunday, December 13, 2009

Mini Race Recap: USATF-NJ Grand Finale 10 Miler

USATF-NJ Grand Finale 10 Miler
Stats:
1:14:42
7:28 pace
97/245 overall
16/77 gender
8/18 age group


This morning I ran my last race of the year, the USATF-NJ Grand Finale 10 Miler. It was the longest distance I had run since the Philadelphia Marathon exactly 3 weeks ago. I thought my legs would be ready, but let me tell you, they were NOT. My entire body was not ready for this race today. Of course, it did not help that it was 32 degrees and raining (did I say raining? I really meant POURING). The rain wasn't really a problem because its actually been a pretty rainy year in terms of racing. And I don't really mind running in the cold but the combination of the rain AND the cold oh and did I mention my aching body?? I had to run this race today because I needed the USATF points. Of course I waited until the final race of the year to get my last set of long distance points in. And since I was/am currently in 2nd place for my age group, I wanted to retain my spot. I will officially find out Tuesday if I placed in the top 3 of my age group. So, despite the cold and rainy weather, and despite the fact that its only been 3 weeks since the marathon, my Dad and I headed an hour south today to run our final race of the year.
I actually thought my body would be ready to race today. I mean its been 3 WEEKS since the marathon. I do not know how all you "Maniacs" do it. Hopefully some day I will be able to keep up! I was already running 4 days later and feeling pretty good despite some quad problems but I definitely did not know what I was getting into running the 10-miler this morning. I started out in shorts and a long sleeved shirt but quickly decided to change into my running capris. I also wore a hat and gloves thank god. The race started at 10 o'clock which was nice because the temp. got a couple of degrees warmer and at least we didn't have freezing rain (just really really cold rain!) So around 10am the race started and not once did I feel good. I ran the first mile in 7:15 which I was pretty happy about but it felt like it took a long time until I saw the first mile mark and I had a loooong way to go. Today felt like the opposite of the marathon. In Philly, the miles seemed to fly by and before I knew it the race was over. Today, however, the miles seemed to last forever and my legs felt like lead the whole time. Since it was pouring my toes got blisters all over and after the race I noticed my left sneaker was all bloody...gross. Thank God I wore my old sneakers for the occasion :) About halfway through the race my joints started to hurt. My knees, ankles and hips hurt every time my foot struck the ground. I can't remember ever feeling so bad during a race before. It was a very humbling experience. I knew early on it was not going to be a great race for me and told myself to just finish safely and get the points. The runners along the course were very encouraging. I slowed down significantly at mile 9 and one woman said, "Come on, keep going, I've been following you the entire race. You set the pace, now finish it." She also asked me if I was okay because I'm sure I looked horrible. At one point I actually thought I was going to throw up, which I have never done before during a race. Not yet anyway. All in all the race was successful because I checked the unofficial points and it looks like I have secured the 2nd place age group position which means I win a grand total of: $125! The most money I have ever won from running before. I plan to use the money to pay for next year's membership for my Dad and me because he has spent A LOT of money for us to do all these races so it is the least I can do. On the agenda for this week: REST.

Editor's Note: Kelly~ The pics from the race are not up yet but the website is: www.uscandids.com

3 comments:

Thinnmann said...

Thanks for the race report. Great result for the Grand Prix! Congratulations! I can relate to you with the Philly Marathon recovery. I am taking longer to recover than I expected also. Still having pains and uncomfortable running, especially once I am over 4 miles or so. I think I didn't take it easy enough the week after Philly, so I am paying for it now. hey, your $125 should at least cover you and your dad's night at the USATF-NJ Banquet.

Tina Agnello said...

Wow! I wish a 7:30pace was a bad day for me! That's a fantastic time! Congratulations.
Hey, do you know if there was a photographer taking photos? Another friend of mine ran and I'd love to see his photos!

Thinnmann said...

The photos are at http://www.uscandids.com