Thursday, May 20, 2010

Overcoming the Afternoon Slump...

I have always been a morning person. Morning is my favorite time of day. I like the calm before the day starts. The time to myself to drink my coffee and read before anyone else is up. On the weekends I look forward to getting up early for races or long runs. I always get up extra early to really have time to wake up and fuel properly. I look forward to these early morning weekend runs and races, but during the week I run in the late afternoon or evening. Because I am a teacher, I have to be into work earlier than the average worker but also because I just have more time in the afternoon. I get out at around 3 o'clock so why wouldn't I run then? It works out really well because I work so close to my parents house and my dad gets out of work early too so we get to run together!

This week it has been so hard for me to get out the door to run after work. I look forward to the run all day and then by 2-3 o'clock I am so exhausted. Once I got going I was fine; felt great actually. After the run I always feel even better. It is just so frustrating. I go to bed so early and feel great all day until that time. I have been trying to tweak my diet to get some more energy and even made a protein smoothie on my lunch break.

Today, we went out for a tempo run. I think it helped a bit! I still felt tired but not as bad as I did on Mon/Tues. My dad and I are running a race on Sunday (a 5K) and then another race the following Saturday (a 5-miler down the shore for Memorial Day weekend) so we kept it short. It was also the 3rd quality run in the last 5 days and I was still sore from Pilates yesterday. The run itself was tough but as I was driving home, I got sad it was over and wanted to do it again! Does that make me crazy??

Today's Tempo Run
5.26 miles
40:20
7:40 pace
1.5 mile warm up
2 mile tempo (6:41, 6:39)
Cool down

This Week
Monday: Track
Tuesday: Pilates
Wednesday: Tempo
Thursday: FIT
Friday: Easy 4-5
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Race Day (5k)

Question: What time of day do you prefer to workout/run? Are you a morning person or night owl?

I am definitely a morning person and almost always wake up early. On the weekends I love to run and workout in the morning but during the week I find afternoon runs and and gym seshes work best for me.

8 comments:

Natasha said...

Agreed about the morning... i like to get it all done because in the afternoon/early evening, all i want to do is go home and relax!!!

The Runner's Kitchen said...

I definitely feel more accomplished when I run in the mornings, but sometimes it can feel good to bust out a sweaty, evening workout. I agree about being exhausted after work though - it can be hard to get myself out the door!

Running and living said...

I like to run in the am, but can't do it before work. I go in very early, too, but by choice, as I like to be done and back home as early as possible. Running in the afternoon is tough in the summer, bc of the high temps. Great job on the run and can't wait for your 5K!

Anonymous said...

I like running after work but since its gotten so hot here, I've been running in the morning!

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

no it doesn't make you crazy. it makes you a runner!

Elle said...

I love my sleep, and since the preppy boyfriend is a night owl in the past five years he's converted me to his schedule of staying up late waking up late.... plus, if I get up early I have to go to bed early, and I hate my job so, so so much that I try to squeek every minute of non-work or commute time into my day before going to bed... so I run in the evenings and sleep in as late as possible in the mornings... I do miss have a quiet cup of tea at the kitchen table while all the house is asleep, but I love having that extra hour or two at night to spend with the preppy boyfriend!

Amber said...

I definitely PREFER to run in the mornings but I'm much speedier when I run after work! It's weird.

Anonymous said...

I used to be such a night owl...staying up until well into the morning. Now though, I am a total morning person. I am up by 5 am on weekdays to work out before work. I HATE working out at night!