Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Track = Success

Thanks for all your comments on the wedding picture post. The venue was beautiful and we were definitely set up to catch the bouquet :) It was fun though.

High school athletics is finally winding down and yesterday the track was free! It has been awhile since I have been able to do speed work on an actual track and it felt great. I made a second attempt at the speed workout from a couple of weeks ago.

This is what I attempted to do:

10-20 min warm up
1600 @ 6:17
1200 @ 4:36 (6:04 pace)
800 @ 3:00 (6:00 pace)
400 @ 1:28 (5:54 pace)
10 min cool down
All w/ a 400 meter RI

Here is how it actually went:

10 min warm up
Stretch
1600 @ 6:15 (yay)
1200 @ 4:52 (6:28 pace)
400@ 1:33 (6:19 pace)
800 @ 3:09 (6:23 pace)
~400 meter RI after each one except the last one. After the final split I walked a lap, stretched and then cooled down with a 1/2 mile jog.

I am pleased with this workout. Even though I had to mix up the order a little bit. After that 1200 and RI I could still barely breathe. I started on the 800 but swapped it for the 400, recovered with another RI and then finished fairly strong with the 800. I am happy because in the end I completed the entire workout and didn't bail out on the 1200 like last time! I would like to attempt this again in a couple of weeks and actually hit all of the paces.

The next couple of days are supposed to be rainy in NJ so today is a Pilates day. Wednesday or Thursday will be a Tempo run, one more easy day hopefully and then my dad and I have a race on Sunday.

Speaking of races, I have signed up for my first Central Park race, an all women 10k that will be hosted and lead by (pregnant) Kara Goucher and Paula Radcliffe. I am excited to run this event and my dad is coming with his camera to spectate.
Have a nice Tuesday :)

6 comments:

NY Wolve said...

Good Luck in Central Park. The highest point in park is on west side at 86th or so, not the Harlem Hill, Cat Hill or on east side by the reservoir. So, the West side is very up and down, and east side is one big hill (or so it seems)

Anonymous said...

Oohhh Pilates...I've never done it but I've always wanted to try.

misszippy said...

Great splits--you are setting yourself up for a nice season of races. When is that race in NY, btw?

Maureen Lisa said...

Your pictures are so cute! I loved your dress, the purple is so pretty.

Thank again for the book I'm reading and planning my attack for running the Philly Half!

I might steal this workout from you! I need to jump back into intervals on the track...dun dun dun!

All Things Jaime said...

I am in LOVE with Kara Goucher and am so happy that she's pregnant! I've been waiting for like ever ... hahaha! You better take pics. So jealous!

Great track workout!! :) You're very speedy! I'm so jealous of that 6:17!

Elle said...

Wow! Good luck in the Central Park race... how fun! I love all women races... they have the best goodie bags, and I've been dying to see pregnant Kara Goucher... be sure to snap a picture if you see her!