Friday, February 11, 2011

Boston Training: Week 6 and 7

Running has been the great equalizer for me. It's given me some nice balance and perspective. You might assume I'm burning the candle at both ends by running a merchandise business and training for a marathon, but I would say it's quite the opposite. Running lets me take a break and take a look at the scenery. It allows the problem-solving side of things to come into effect and gives me clarity when I'm out there on the trail for a couple hours at a time.
~Ryan Heuser, President of Paul Frank

Wow, a full week of work and a full week without snow! I can’t believe it! I have been able to get more outdoor runs in than I have in awhile and I haven’t even looked at a treadmill since that 20-miler last week. Unfortunately, this means I also haven’t been to the gym in awhile, but thats okay.

Week 6: January 31-Feb 5
Monday:
REST
Tuesday: Reformer
Wednesday: 20 miles
Thursday: REST
Friday: 5 miles- hills
Saturday: 2.7
Sunday: 5.4 miles easy
Total Miles: 32 miles

Week 7: February 6-12
Monday: REST
Tuesday: 10 min stairs, pushups, triceps dips
Wednesday: Hills (6:30, 6:53, 7:35, 7:45), shortened the jogging RI
Thursday: 5 miles easy

Friday: Easy
Saturday: Long Run (10-15 miles)
Sunday: Recovery

This is a cutback week and it could not have come at a better time! I have been busy and tired and preoccupied, so this has been a great week to get some easy runs in, as well as keep up with hill running to build strength and endurance. I probably should have a better base of strength right now, being that it IS week 7 of Boston training…seriously where does the time go?

I have been a terrible commenter and blog reader lately! I promise to catch up soon!
Happy Friday!

*Weekend Workout Plans?
Long run and hopefully the gym at some point!
*Weekend Plans?
We are going to celebrate with some of Dan’s friends this weekend and I have lunch with an out of town friend on Sunday.
*What benefit of running do you appreciate more: physical or mental?
For me, it is definitely mental! There are so many faster ways to get my body in shape, mainly weights, but I just don’t enjoy it quite as much!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE that quote!! And ya gotta love those cutback weeks!!:)

DEFINITELY the mental aspect! I love being able to zone out and think when running...so theraputic! And of course nothing beats a good old runner's high!! :D

Have an AWESOME weekend gorgeous:)

Stephanie said...

Love cutback weeks, hope you enjoy a nice relaxing weekend!

Katie said...

I've been a bad commenter/reader lately too, it is so hard to keep up, I didn't even get to say Happy Birthday!

Looks like training is going great!

Running Ricig said...

I think I realized last night that I appreciate the mental benefit of running more than physical. When I thought I wasn't going to be able to run because of a broken treadmill, I kind of started to freak out about it. I figured out a work-around, but now I know where my priorities are! yikes

BigHappyFamily said...

Weekend plans? Soaking in the 50 degree temperature the weatherman promises is headed our way for Sunday, and with that planning my longest run to date (12 miles).

MENTAL. Definitely.

Laura said...

I think long distance running is ALL mental. Anyone can get the physical strength/endurance to run a marathon given enough training; it's gritting your teeth and doing it that's the hard part.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy it, mentally, more than anything. Whenever I do a strenuous workout, I enjoy what it brings physically - but that's kind of mental due to the confidence boost. Either way it's a win-win!

There's an award for you on my blog. Play along if you'd like, no pressue. :)

Stefanie D. said...

It's definitely a mental thing for me!

Easy run planned for today. Long run tomorrow. :)

Laury@TheFitnessDish said...

With the weather we are getting this week it looks like you will be getting A LOT of outdoor runs in :-) I am so excited. I hope this means NO MORE SNOW for the rest of the winter (a girl can dream and have faith, right?)

I hope you have a great weekend!! happy first Valentine's Day as an engaged lady :-) :-)