Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Middle of the Week Long Run…Really Long Run

Today I did something I swore I would never do.

I ran 20 miles on the treadmill.

You see, I had 20 miles on the schedule for this weekend (either Saturday or Sunday) but Saturday is my birthday. I would love to run 20 miles on my birthday if it was going to be a beautiful day…You know, sun shining, 50 degrees, etc. but apparently another storm is headed our way just in time for my birthday. I definitely did NOT want to be stuck running 20 miles on the treadmill on my birthday, so I took matters into my own hands.

Last night, I got the call that the school I work at was having a delayed opening this morning. Around 5:45 am they called again. No school.

I knew what I had to do.

I went back to sleep until about 8, ate breakfast, walked Cooper in the ice storm, and then headed down to the gym in my development’s club house.

I was sure to pack plenty of fuel.

IMG00238-20110202-0940

I didn’t have any GU or energy gels because I keep them all at my parents house, where I usually do my long runs from, so I had to get creative, but this system seemed to work pretty well!

IMG00240-20110202-1053

I reset the treadmill after every 5 miles because it shuts off after an hour and I was afraid that if I saw how far or long I had been running I would completely psych myself out.

The run looked like this:

~5 @ 7.0 (8:34) 43:00 min
~5 @ 7.0 (8:34) 43:00 min
~5 @ 6.7 (8:57) 45:00 min
~5 @ 6.7 (8:57) 45:00 min

=20 miles total, 8:45ish pace, 2 hours, 56 minutes

*1 bathroom break, 2 nutri-grain bars, 2 bottle (24 ounce) Accelerade, 2 bottles of water, approximately 10 dark chocolate covered espresso beans.

I haven’t trained much with the Accelerade. I actually received it for winning a race a few months ago and I like it because it isn’t too sweet and it is 4:1 carbs:protein. I like that it includes protein because your muscles can break down when you run that many miles. Mine is a berry flavor and its pretty good!

Now I am off to relax and catch up on the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Reunion episode that I missed last night because I fell asleep early (even though I new I was able to sleep in!)

*What is the strangest/most creative thing you have ever eaten on a long run?
One time I ate an entire peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It was delicious.

*Do you watch Real Housewives? What is your favorite city?

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like I told you already on Twitter, you are AMAZING girl!! I find long treadmill runs REALLY hard, so 20 miles on there! Wow!

I LOVE the idea though of breaking it down into 4x5miles! That's a great idea- I'll definitely try that! :D

I ate some chocolate chip cookies in a race once that someone handed me! Rocket fuel! ;)

Running Ricig said...

Saturday's my birthday too!

Way to go on the 20 miler! That is serious business. I did 15 yesterday on the treadmill, but I had to split it up before and after work so I actually had time to do it.

I can't think of anything odd I've eaten while running.

Anonymous said...

Way to plan and get it done! Now you can enjoy your birthday (mine is next Wed and it will involve no treadmill running either)!

mmmonyka said...

I do not think I would ever do such a thing as running 20miles on a treadmill. Not because I find it boring (I have not really tried running on a treadmill yet) but I do not care about running in a lot of snow, blizzard or whatever as long as it is not tractors falling from the sky.
I usually do not do such long runs but when I was training for a marathon I did few 20milers and I did not eat or drink anything. How is that for odd?:)

runningseal said...

wow! amazing! I don't know if I could survive doing a 20 miler on the treadmill!

Running and living said...

Great run, you are amazing for doing it on the mill. I ran 12 miles in the storm yesterday, slow but had a blast:)

Jenn said...

Awesome Job!! Must feel just awesome to have that done!

I don't take many gels in training. I can eat pretty well on the run though. In the summer I would run in the door from work, toast an English muffin with almond butter and bananas on it and carry it out the door with me on my run (if it was an easy or long run). Fig newtons, bananas, and peanut butter sandwiches are common fuel for me. In the winter it's a little tougher...

Happy Birthday on Saturday:)

RunToTheFinish said...

way to go!!! i did all of my long run training for my first marathon on a treadmill, very odd in retrospect but it worked at the time :)

Stefanie D. said...

Woo! Awesome miles! I totally love that you are into the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. I'm like super bummed it's over! Not sure what I'm going to watch now. I must ask...are you a Kyle or Kim fan? lol.

Runners Fuel said...

way to go! That is awesome!

Jessica said...

Goodness, I don't know how you do it. You have awesome willpower and focus...I find even an hour on the treadmill too tough to handle.

Sadly I can't eat and run...or even eat before I run really. Tends to be a case of running first thing before breakfast or not at all. Darn stomach problems.

xxx

Teamarcia said...

Way to plan ahead and git er done! You won't regret having that bad boy done when your birthday and the next storm roll around. Nice work!
Weirdest training food? Hmmm dried apricots?

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

First of all, happy early birthday! And, secondly, GREAT job!! 20 miles on the treadmill or anywhere during the week is outstanding!! Did you have a snow day again?

Amanda@runninghood said...

Wow, I don't think I've ever run over 9 miles on a TM. Way to go. I've never really used much more than water and maybe some of those GU block things but I should probably be doing other things. I'm learning from all of you. :)

Abby said...

You are my hero. I ran 4 today and couldn't stand that.

Cate said...

Holey Moley! What a run and on the treadmill no less! :) The longest I have gone on the treadmill was eight, and that was a challenge.

Anonymous said...

UNREAL. but awesome. great job!!

the most creative thing i've had to eat, was actually baby food. i had my little one in the running stroller, and i was 9 miles into a run - totally bonked and needed fuel, so i had a jar of extra sweet potato...

The Turtle said...

That's a crazy long treadmill run. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Wow 20 miles is amazing girl! That's so great! Your blog is so awesome, I love the pictures and especially your pup is the cutest thing ever!
I LOVE watching Real Housewives and I'd have to say the ones of NY are my favorite but maybe because I used to live there ;)

coach dion said...

Haven't been on a treadmill in years, we are lucky here in Cape Town it is aways great running weather. (even if the wind has been blowing) I tack my hat of to you 'guys' how can do your long runs on the mill...

Laura said...

I've eaten a baked potato with salt during an ultra marathon. I've stopped for brunch in the middle of a weekend long run. Really, my stomach tends to be okay with just about anything.

Nelly said...

That really is insane that you ran 20 miles on the treadmill, I just couldn't do that, haha Sounds like it went perfect! I guess with all the snow the east coast is now getting running outside is just not possible right now...

Anonymous said...

This deserves some kind of award. Yes, a big one that you hang from your rearview mirror so everyone can see what a bad ass you are!

Lizzy said...

So smart to break the run into 5's. Maybe I will try that tomorrow on the treadmill. And happy birthday!!! I think I like New York or NJ best but they are all addicting!

dawn @ running the dawn said...

good work taking matters into your own hands and refusing to run 20 miles on your birthday!

i've been "practicing" with the gatorade endurance formula since that is supposedly what they're going to have in boston. its fine. pretty sweet like gatorade is usually. that accelorade sounds good. i tried one of their gels that had protein in it and it was decent.