Tuesday, February 1, 2011

January and Stress Relief

“Even if I don’t reach any of my goals, I’ve gone higher than I would have if I hadn’t set any”
-Danielle Fotopoulos, soccer player

2011 is off an running with one month already down! I am feeling great about my January training. I was super nervous to come back after the injury last fall, but turns out, I ran more miles in January than any other month of mileage in 2010.

2011 Mileage
January: 152

*My highest mileage month of 2010 was August with 140 miles.

For strength building, I mainly focused on Pilates and plyometrics this month. I can’t believe I didn’t take a single spin class in all of January!

*Goals for Next Month

Running: Add speed/hills
Strength: Add 1 day per week of lifting or strength class
Diet: Cook more, eat out less!
Mind: Yoga

*5 weeks into Boston training, 11 to go! Really only 8 of the 11 remaining weeks are serious training weeks- the last 3 are taper. Just 2 months of training to go. So. Crazy.

How do you deal with stress?

Check out this article from Active.com about stress and your workouts:

Running Under Stress

*Do you like to workout when you are stressed? What is your best stress relief tip?
I love to workout when I am stressed. Nothing helps me forget about a difficult day at work more than getting out there for a good run. That would have been my tip but according to the article, there are times when it is not good to treat stress with exercise. If you read the article, do you agree or disagree? I think the key is to know your body.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Running always helps me with stress. There is something about pounding it out on the pavement!

Running Ricig said...

I LOVE to workout when I'm stressed. I always feel better afterwards.

Raina said...

Great question! I think it depends on what the stress is, but I usually feel better after a good workout :)

WTG on the mileage!!!

dawn @ running the dawn said...

oh man...when you put it like that i get a little freaked out. 8 weeks to go!?!? eesh. that should help kick start me into some kind of action...

Anonymous said...

WOW boston seems so close!!

running DEFINITELY helps with stress. often times, i'll go without the Garmin (gasp!!!) and just run.

Runners Fuel said...

Running always helps relieve my stress. I can have a crappy day and running will take all of that away. I love it! Who knew mioving your legs fast could be such a good stress reliever?

Rae said...

Looks like you had a great month! Super high mileage!

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

Great mileage!!! Yay for speed and hill training:) Remember how we used to be injured?!?! Thank goodness we aren't anymore! I LOVE RUNNING to beat stress! Have a great day!

coach dion said...

3 weeks taper!!! I've never training hard enough to do a 3 week taper... If I back off for 3 weeks I just get unfit.
If I get stressed at the office I go for a walk. Visit the ladies on the other floors.

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog, and I LOVE it!!

Amazing mileage, and you are so SO speedy!! Your PR's are amazing you speed DEMON! :D

Running is a total stress reliever for me! I do a nice long slow run without my Ipod/Garmin etc and just clear my head :)

RunEatRepeat said...

I was having a super crappy and stressful day today. I decided to get outside and run 3 miles. Felt soooo much better after!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, your realization of how close Boston is is making me nervous. EEK!

Muncher Cruncher said...

Keri you're awesome! Your Boston training plan sounds great and manageable, and I'm pretttty sure you're going to ROCK it! Way to go on the mileage this month. Such a great way to start the year. Oh and yes...running to beat stress is the best. Especially when it's to loud music! :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, working out is geat stress relief! Sounds like you have a fabulous plan for Boston- I am very exciting to watch all of you amazing runners that day!

Stefanie D. said...

Very interesting article. I personally feel so much better after a good workout on a stressful day. It's definitely a good way to unwind.

Lizzy said...

Great month for running!!! I love working out when I'm stressed out. Running is really the best therapist : )