Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My Triumphant Return…(To the Gym)

Running is my private time, my therapy, my religion.

~Gail W. Kislevitz

Thank you for the compliments on the shoes! They are the newest model of Mizuno’s Wave Inspire line, and of course they are extra special to me :)

It was great to go back to Pilates yesterday! I missed last weeks class, so I was really excited to get back there. It was a great class…we worked on isolating the abs and tried some new and tricky moves. One of my favorites was a version of rolling like a ball. Rolling like a ball is a fun exercise that allows you to use momentum as well as your abs. It is also not as easy as it looks! (If you try this…be sure not to roll onto your neck!) Yesterday in class, we did a version where we took the momentum out of the exercise, and didn’t roll as far back. It was really hard because getting back up was all in the abdominals and you had to try and do it with a fluid movement. I am a little sore today, and I am not usually sore after Pilates classes!

I was able to get a few miles in on the treadmill before class, but ran out of time to do as many as I wanted to. I literally ran into class at the last second to get in every possible tenth of a mile that I could. Today, I am going to attempt either speed work on the street or a tempo run (outside!) Now that the snow is melting, the streets are wider again. The plan is either 6 x 800 (ideally) OR 2 miles easy, 3 @ 6:54, 1 easy. I am telling you so I don’t back out!

*If you have a puppy or a dog…when does the chewing stage stop?
Cooper has destroyed more pillows and socks than I can count, and he is currently working on chewing up one of my blankets when I am not looking. He seriously waits for me to be in the bathroom to chew it. I’m pretty sure he is doing it right now as I type…

IMG00280-20110216-0708  IMG00281-20110216-0708

Little Punk…

8 comments:

Penny said...

My dog is 5 years old now and she still loves to chew!
I think the trick is you have to teach them the distinction between their toys (chew-worthy) and your socks, pillows, blankets (NOT chew-worthy).

Puppies can be really stubborn and teaching them can be very difficult. Have you taken him to an obedience class? I would suggest doing that, it is very helpful and definitely worth the cost. The trainer will teach YOU how to train your dog. This will help your pup realize that you are the alpha and he has to obey you (when you say "no!" when he starts nibbling on your possessions).

Good luck!

Also, big congrats on your recent engagement! :-) (I am a new reader.)
I got engaged myself on 10-10-10 just a few minutes after crossing the finish line of the Portland Marathon. We're getting married 9-17-11.

Running Ricig said...

we give my dog tons of bones and toys to chew on and she's usually good with that. We've started stuffing big bones with PB, freezing them, and then giving them to her when we leave the house. Keeps her busy so she doesn't notice we're leaving, but also keeps her chewing on it basically until she falls asleep until we get home. She'll be 2 in May. Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

aww. that a girl getting back to the gym :) you're fabulous and you can do it! xoxo

LindsLovesMiles said...

You make me want to do Pilates!! Sounds like Coop needs some Cesar Milan in his life! Hope the chewing gets better--keep us posted!

Stephanie said...

LOVE that those are Wave Inspires, that's one of my favorite colors too, Sweet!

Our dog is 5 and we never really had too many issues with the chewing, but when she does she goes for the big stuff- books, cords from the TV and wii, her bowls, trashcans, etc.

I have yet to lose any clothes/shoes (knock on wood) but I am SO careful about not leaving anything out. I think they grow out of it at some point, but when our dog gets really bad anxiety she will still chew, so basically no clue- sorry I can't help more!

Runners Fuel said...

My dog was a couple of years old before she stopped chewing on things she wasn't suppose to. Does Cooper have any bones to chew on?

Anonymous said...

I wish I had tips on dogs...I usually get too frustrated with a puppy well before they are out of that stage! I always buy pre-trained dogs cause I am clueless when it comes to training. Good luck!

All Things Jaime said...

I'd choose 6x800, too! 3 miles at sub 7 pace ... you can do that, too though!

Good luck. Keep us posted! Heidi has never chewed anything so we're lucky. Hope it stops soon!