Sunday, February 6, 2011

Hills

With all the excitement going on the past few days, I never got to tell you about the hill workout I was doing while Dan was anxiously pacing around the apartment on Friday!

Stats:
5.0 miles
42:48 minutes
8:33 pace

Splits:
1.08 mile warm up
4 x 1 min hill sprints (Paces: 6:57, 7:18, 7:30, 7:22) w/ 800 RI (jogging)
1.7 mile cool down.

Hill Repeats Elm

I like this route because even when I wasn’t sprinting up the hills, the rest of the route was hilly anyway. You don’t have to go far to find hills in my parents’ neighborhood, but with all the treadmill running I have been doing, I seriously needed to include some hills. I hope to keep up with hills at least once a week because they are a great way to build strength and endurance.

That was Friday. The rest of my runs this weekend were pretty lame. I’m hoping to make up for it today. Yesterday, sleet and ice were falling from the sky but I love to run on my birthday so my dad and I sucked it up for 2.7 miles (because I turned 27, get it? haha) and then called it a day. Hopefully today’s run goes a little more smoothly!

Be back later with a birthday recap!

*Do you do hill workouts? What is your preferred tough workout of choice?
I prefer the track and speed workouts but I definitely think hills are the hardest (for me!)

*Plans for the superbowl?/Favorite superbowl snack?
We are going to my friends’ new condo for a party. I’m bringing the guacamole because its my favorite and someone is already making a veggie platter!

11 comments:

mmmonyka said...

Oh hills... You are wise to put them into your routine, especially for Boston, good job. You will rock that marathon!
I don't do hills very often now (=never) but I used to do hill workouts almost every week before. Couple years ago we did 5-6x800m hill repeats workout with 800m jog back. I did the workout with bunch of 2:13 800m runners so they were moving it even up that hill. It was the worst. That was the only time in running when I was not fully able to hold the food in my stomach.

Running Ricig said...

my regular runs outside include hills, but when I'm on the treadmill it's just about getting through it. Sometimes if I feel amazing on the treadmill, I'll jack up the incline, but it's not the usual.

I LOVE guac! Nice addition.

Anonymous said...

that's an awesome chart! nice job!

Anonymous said...

I did my first hill workout yesterday! I read up about them and they're really sposed to increase your speed too! Wahoo! :D

Aaah guacamole is SOOO good! It's been wayy too long...

Lizzy said...

Awesome workout!!! I just ran the Boston hills yesterday. Honestly I really think the first hill you hit coming out of Wellesley into Newton when you turn on Comm is the worst. You get a lot of recovery in between the hills too, you are going to do great!!!

Congrats again on the engagement!

I'm making Edamole- Guac with Edamamme! Can't wait!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Hope you have a great run today. I actually prefer hills over speed. Lately I've just been doing short intervals on the treadmill with hills but once this training program gets going a bit more, I'll probably venture outside to a few of my favorite hill spots. My coaches in high school and college used to take us to a big hill somewhere and we would do repeats...up hard and recovery down and repeat and repeat and repeat. Sometimes we'd do something where one runner would take off earlier and we would have to catch them.

Angie said...

Nice workout!!! Hills are tough, but complete necessary. I just tried my first hill workout on the treadmill last week.

Simply Life said...

ugh, I hate running up hills- nice work!

Nelly said...

that hill workout you did sounds awesome! The hills sound tough but not brutally tough.

I like hill workouts, I would say that I'm almost better on hills than I am on flat ground as compared to most runners, haha

coach dion said...

I love running hills!!! if I'm on holiday and see I hill I have to run up it... Once we were driving somewhere on holiday and Dawn had run in the morning, while I packed the car. I was going to run in the evening when we reach home. well we drove over a mountain pass. OK I got out and ran over while Dawn drove. What can I say, I'm MAD

Raina said...

Great workout, Keri!

I am doing some hills too. Actually, there is no way to avoid them- mostly they are longer hills that I hit, but just this week reincorporated a route I had abandoned in the fall, to do a 3 mile up and 3 mile down.

I love the 3 mile down =D !