
Morristown St. Patty's Day 5K
March 13, 2010
Garmin Stats:
3.15 miles
21:36 (21:32 chip time)
6:54 pace
5:06 best pace
Weather:
*39 degrees at start
Overview Powered by TruPointSM
Rain/wind
Rain. Cloudy with strong and gusty winds. Temperatures steady near 48F. Winds ENE at 25 to 30 mph. Rainfall near a half an inch.
In a word: Wet.
So, I didn't accomplish my goal of breaking 21 minutes on this course, and I didn't even beat last year's time. I basically fell exactly in the middle of my previous times on this course. The good news is the weather has never been this bad before and I'm sure the rain and high winds slowed me down a bit. The even better news is that I was the 5th female finisher (out of 363 women) and took 2nd in my age group (20-29). I am most excited about finishing in the top 5. I have been placing in my age group fairly consistently, but I am thrilled to be placing higher overall.
The boys from work chickened out of running, I guess they were scared of a little rain. So I think that means I win, even if by default :)
Splits:
Mile 1: 6:45
Mile 2: 7:12 (This is where the hill was.)
Mile 3: 6:51
00.1: 6:15
The first mile I went out wayy too fast (as usual). I looked at my watch and it said I was running at a 5:40 pace. Not soo smart. I really need to keep that in check. So I made an effort to slow down and settled in at around 6:45. Between miles 1.7-2.1 was the hill and I slowed down significantly. At the top and tried to recover and pick it up for the last mile. Right after mile 3 someone shouted that I was the 5th female and that gave me the extra kick I needed at the end to finish strong.
I received some nice loot :) The race gave out a nice technical tee (too big as usual!), and for my age group finish I received a cute medal and a $15 gift certificate to RoadID. Something I was going to purchase anyway, so I was happy about that!
Lessons Learned:
1.) No heart rate monitors during a race. I went out pretty fast and even though I had it strapped on pretty tight, before I knew it the band was around my belly button. I promptly pulled it off and stuffed it into my pocket.
2.) Don't over dress!! I always over dress in the winter and today was no exception. It was cold and raining and I was freezing when we were warming up, but by the time we lined up, I was already warm and we hadn't even started yet. It ended up working out well because I was able to zip my HR monitor into my jacket pocket and didn't have to worry about losing it, but I could have done without the jacket.
3.) Don't go out too fast! Per usual, I got excited and went out too fast. This burns up all your glycogen stores early on in the race. (I also do this during tempo runs.) I need to learn to pace myself.
All in all, I am pleased. I'm happy my dad and I ran the race and if nothing else it was a really good tempo run. (That 3 mile one I seem to keep putting off!) It wasn't the best or most fun race I'd ever run but it felt good to get out there and race again. I saw some crazy St. Patty's costumes, and a couple of guys even dyed their facial hair green :) Not a bad start to the racing season!
6 comments:
Nice job Keri! The wind and rain were definitely a factor today during my run so I'm sure they impacted your run too. Way to go though and congrats on the nice swag!
Oh, what a yucky day for a race! It's hard not to overdress in the winter, particularly with the cold and rain. And it is hard not to go out too fast! Every race is a lesson, and the more lessons, the better running! Nice job!
You are such a talented runner!
I never wear my Garmin chest strap. It's either too tight (side stitch) or too loose (falls down).
Wow, such a speedy racer you are congrats on braving the elements and finishing with an amazing time. If the weather was better no doubt you would have smashed your goal of a sub 20 5k. Great job.
You are so fast, my legs hurt just reading that pace :) Seriously though, awesome job! And I love the shirt!
Congratulations sweet girl! Even if my pace is slower, I always feel like such a stronger runner for running in bad weather...
And 5th place overall woman WAY TO GO!
I read an article about dressing to run, and they said if you aren't cold at the starting line than you are over dressed... that's become my new mantra, and something that is hard for me to follow b/c I hate being cold, but it has really helped me not overdress, and usually by the end of the 1st half mile...
I did a long run last night 11 miles at a 10:02 pace, which is a nice pick up from my 10.6 miles at a 10:40 pace last week. However, I am just dying towards the end... I'm hoping to try out some Gu this week to see if that gives me a little energy boost... do you have any other tips on how to not die on the last few miles... I find starting around mile 9 I'm just worn out I still hold to around a 10:30 min mile pace, but I'm super tired doing it... I know one way is to start out slower, but I'm afraid if I start out slower than my overall pace will be slower... But getting so tired at mile 9 is making me really nervous about doing 13.2 I mean I'll still have 4.2 miles left if a start dying and mile 9....
Post a Comment