
The Runner's Body
How the latest exercise science can help you run stronger, longer, and faster
by Ross Tucker, PhD and Johnathan Dugas, PhD
I am so excited to read this book! I have been studying anatomy lately in anticipation for the ACE Personal Trainer Test, and I think reading about it in relation to running will supplement my boring studying very nicely :)
Normally book reviews are done after the entire book is read, but since this book is very in depth and scientific, I am going to try something different. The book is broken down into 5 parts:
1.) The Musculoskeletal System
2.) The Cardiorespiratory System
3.) The Metabolic System
4.) The Central Nervous System
5.) The Immune System
As I read each part, I plan to summarize that section, and then do a full book review at the end. I just started it yesterday and haven't been able to put it down. I am going "skiing" this weekend (aka taking an hour lesson maybe then reading and studying back at the townhouse). I am not much of a skier, I've actually never done it and I'm not so sure I want to start now. I hate the cold and really don't want to break a bone the week before my first race of the season!
So, I hope these book "summaries" don't bore you. So far I find it fascinating, but please tell me what you think once I get this going. Has anyone read this book yet? What did you think?
I am off for a veryyyyy loooooong day of parent teacher conferences. Maybe I should stop for a coffee first...?
Normally book reviews are done after the entire book is read, but since this book is very in depth and scientific, I am going to try something different. The book is broken down into 5 parts:
1.) The Musculoskeletal System
2.) The Cardiorespiratory System
3.) The Metabolic System
4.) The Central Nervous System
5.) The Immune System
As I read each part, I plan to summarize that section, and then do a full book review at the end. I just started it yesterday and haven't been able to put it down. I am going "skiing" this weekend (aka taking an hour lesson maybe then reading and studying back at the townhouse). I am not much of a skier, I've actually never done it and I'm not so sure I want to start now. I hate the cold and really don't want to break a bone the week before my first race of the season!
So, I hope these book "summaries" don't bore you. So far I find it fascinating, but please tell me what you think once I get this going. Has anyone read this book yet? What did you think?
I am off for a veryyyyy loooooong day of parent teacher conferences. Maybe I should stop for a coffee first...?
4 comments:
That book looks really interesting! I'm excited to read your summary of each part!
Smart girl for taking a ski lesson your first time out! I bet you like it... skiing is loads of fun, and with an instructor you'll feel safe, and you won't end up trying anything you aren't ready for..... Just try to go in with an open mind, and be sure to have something hot and alcoholic to drink at the end of the day! :)
Also, I'm excited about this book review... I may pick up the book and read it along with you... reading more is one of my goals before medical school starts. I've become quite the tv bug lately.....
Well I totally hope we can make San Francisco work out, YAY! the date is kind of challenging for us to, b/c we will actually be moving out there the week before that, I'm thinking we'll arrive in the Bay area with all of our stuff on the 21st....I just think it will be an awesome marathon to run, and it will be something to take my mind off the stress of medical school just starting and all the moving!
I felt like you do (not wanting to put the book down) when I read "Born to Run"! Such an amazing book. Can't wait to hear your review!
Wow, takes so much for stopping by and because your blog will be one of my tribe blog. It is good to have a blog where I can find some inspiration for my healthy-fit lifestyle.
Come and visit soon.
Post a Comment