Thursday, March 25, 2010

Tempo Run (x2)

Morning!
I am glad you are all excited about the giveaway...Only a couple of posts to go so it will probably be sometime next week.
Yesterday was a great tempo run. Its really nice to be able to see the improvement since first beginning all these speed workouts. According to Run Less, Run Faster, the workout we were supposed to run was: 1 mile warm-up, 2 miles @ short tempo pace, 1 mile easy, 2 miles @ short tempo pace, 1 mile cool down. Here's what the actual run looked like:

7.81 Miles
1:01:25
7:52 Average Pace
5:46 Best Pace

1.5 mile warm up
2 mile tempo (6:38, 6:46)
1 mile easy (9:31)
2 mile tempo (6:57, 6:49)
COOL DOWN

I didn't know what to expect with this "double" tempo run but am pretty happy with how it turned out. I kept all my tempo splits under 7 minutes (barely!) and the second set felt easier than the first. The short distance pace is starting to feel more comfortable and the 9:31 easy mile in between was actually hard. I forced myself to go super slowly to recover but I don't think my body needed me to go that slowly. Keep that in mind when you are training. For me, its harder to go faster or slower than my body wants. The GPS watches are fantastic and all but sometimes your body just knows how fast or slow to go. You have to be careful because you can also get hurt if you push it too hard. After the tempo parts were over I jogged back to the start to meet my dad and my final cool down pace was about 8:30. This is probably what I should have done my in between pace in.

My legs are definitely feeling the run today. Between this run and FIT the night before they are pretty tired. Today is an off day from running and I am supposed to go to FIT class but I will play it by ear.

2 more work days until spring break! Watch out because you may be seeing a lot more of me on here when I'm off for a week.

7 comments:

Maureen Lisa said...

Good job!! You're doing great and are definitely going to kick butt! Enjoy you spring break off!!!

Elle said...

What a great job you're doing! I think I may end up buying the run less run faster book to help me incorporate some speed workouts into my marathon training this summer... and I still can't believe you manage to do FIT and pilates and run as often as you do!

Thanks for the encouragement... The half marathon is actually on Saturday... I'm picking up my race packett today :) so exciting!

David Yingling said...

Your best pace is always super quick. Is that typically at the beginning as you are ramping up or what?

I need to do more tempo runs and just seeing you doing them has inspired me to schedule them into my weeks.

I know what you feel about listening to your body!

Amber said...

That sounds like a killer workout. I have a lot of trouble slowing down when I'm going fast and then speeding up again so it'd probably be good for my legs to do something like that!

Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) said...

Wow, your super fast. Those mile times are killin' me. (Here I am doing 3:30 800's, like a turtle.) Nice work.

Thomas Bussiere said...

You are looking strong and see a PR at your next race. Speed work is awesome - Very good times. Train hard and run with purpose.

Anonymous said...

Spring Break = Love