Hello :)
Thank you for all you tips on my car situation. My dad is furious and is already drafting letters, etc. I showed him the bill and it turns out they basically gave me top of the line tires since I did not specify what kind I wanted. So I guess I didn't get ripped off, I just got taken advantage of because they gave me tires I really didn't need. I'm more about designer purses than designer tires :)
Anyway, I ran off the frustration with a glorious 10-mile run this morning followed by an awesome Pilates reformer class. It is amazing what a little exercise can do for a bad mood! Today's 10-mile run was the longest run we've done since December when we ran the USATF Grand Finale race. Until now, the longest we have gone on training runs was 6 miles. We were mostly focusing on improving speed and endurance through track workouts, tempo runs, and hill repeats. It was so nice today to just get out there and run, without worrying about pace. It was about 60 degrees and sunny and we went early enough so there was not many cars on the road. Lots of bikers, however!
Stats
Distance: 10 Miles
Time:1:29:09
Pace: 8:54
Best Pace: 6:10
I chose this course because there are a couple of good hills. The hill we usually do repeats on is a part of this course, as well as a few others, so I guess you could call this a "Hilly Long Run." Here are the splits:
Mile 1: 8:43
Mile 2: 8:38
Mile 3: 9:22 (hill)
Mile 4: 9:00
Mile 5: 9:15
Mile 6: 9:00
Mile 7: 9:11 (hill)
Mile 8: 8:47
Mile 9: 8:37
Mile 10: 8:29
I am happy that the beginning and end of the run were strong. It seems that we slowed down in the middle. Its funny because that is exactly how I run my 5Ks. The first and third mile are fast and the second mile is when I slow down to recover. Interesting.
I ran with my heart rate monitor but somewhere in the beginning of the run it stopped working. I don't know why but this isn't the first time this has happened. I wonder if maybe my sports bra got in the way?
Does anyone else run with a HR Monitor? Has this ever happened to you before?
After the run, I made a quick protein powder shake at my parents house before heading to Pilates. I didn't want to eat right before class, but knew I needed energy after the run. My Pilates trainer wasn't thrilled that I ran 10 miles before her class (oops) but she is also biker and understands :)
How are you spending your weekend? Did you run/race this weekend?
5 comments:
Nice negative splits! Great job! How did I spent my weekend? I raced:)
I have a HR monitor and it has stopped working on me mid-run. I have found that by licking my finger, rubbing it on the electrodes, and putting it back on seem to do the trick.
No races this weekend but plenty of runs. I also had a blast seeing the liberty bell and other historical sites in Philly today.
My heart rate monitor used to do that occasionaly and I read on the polar website that one trick is to dampen the electrodes before you run, this makes sure that they get good connectivity from start to finish...
I'm glad your 10 mile run was great, mine this morning was a disaster. I picked a new route, that basically had 5 huge (.25 to .5 mile long and super steep) hills... I got lost at mile 7, and there were 20-30 mile per hour wind gusts.... over all pretty discouraging.... But that's why we run training runs, so we can see how we handle ourselves on the good days and the bad days. Now at least I know how to prepare my worst case scenario for race day, and I'm also hoping that I got all the bad run mojo out of the way so the race next saturday will be awesome....
I always seem to come to your blog and talk about me... very rude! Anyway, thanks for posting your times it's a good demonstration of how all those hills affect your pace even if you are a super awesome runner :)
Great run! and I can't believe you did pilates after wards... girl you are crazy! I hit the shower and will do some cleaning after my 10 miler!
Hey Keri!
Thanks for the kind comments on my blog. Great job with your 10 miler. Isn't it nice that we're getting warmer weather here in New England? I so want to try pilates sometime. Sounds like it could benefit this old man! 10 miles, then pilates. You are a superstar! If your heart rate monitor craps out for good, I have one that I've never used. Let me know if you need it.
While I don't wear a sports bra, I have found that my polar used to become lose as I ran. (Or my chest more contracted.) This caused the contacts in the strap to lose contact with my chest, or slip down too far to detect the heart rate. I fixed this by doing two things: 1. Moisten my fingers in dripping water and add the water to the contacts and my chest prior to running. 2. tightened the strap a bit.
Nice splits by the way.
Post a Comment