Monday, March 22, 2010

The Runner's Body - The Cardiorespiratory System



Did you miss Part 1? Click to read about The Musculoskeletal System.

Okay, so you know how I promised you mini-reviews of each of the 5 sections of The Runner's Body? Well there is soooo much info in this book! Therefore, I am going to do a very general summary and include some of the most interest parts and later I plan to do other posts on specific elements of each section such as VO2 max and running economy. Sound good? Okay, so here it is:

The Runner's Body - Part 2 - The Cardiorespiratory System




The Cardiorespiratory System is made up of the Lungs and the Cardiovascular System. Basically, it is the lungs and the heart working together.

Effect of Training on the Cardiorespiratory System:

Put simply: Your heart and lungs become bigger and stronger, and the capacity of your blood to carry oxygen increases. Oxygen is used by the muscles to produce energy.

There are 3 chapters in this section:

~More Mileage per Milliliter: Poses the question of what factors improve running ability. Argues that VO2 max is not as important a determinant of running ability as we once though and that running economy is what matters.
~Blood, Sweat, and Gatorade: Debates the theory that dehydration decreases performance and negatively affecting our health. Claims the problem is not that we don't drink enough but that we drink too much.
~The Mysterious Muscle Cramp: Suggests a hypothesis as to why we cramp and debunks myths about what was previously thought to cause cramps. Also explains the physiology behind a muscle cramp and addresses an effective way to treat and prevent cramping.

What I Learned:

~"The fact that speed and power training improve running economy most suggests that perhaps the answers to improved performance lie not in the heart and lungs but the muscles and tendons." Very interesting.
~Too much flexibility is bad for running performance, but we must be flexible enough to have a normal range of motion.
~Too much fluid is dangerous for our health and dehydration is not as big of a problem that the media makes it out to be. Drinking when you are thirsty is adequate.
~Muscle cramping is not due to electrolyte loss, but a function of fatigue.
~If you become more economical at faster speeds, your economy will improve at slower speeds.

There was a lot of information in the chapter. I found it very interesting that chapters about hydrating and muscle cramps were found in the cardiorespiratory section and that this section basically downplayed the importance of the heart and lungs in improving running performance. Obviously we need a strong and healthy cardiorespiratory system to run well, however, the authors suggest that ultimately the muscles and tendons are the key to improving performance.

Stay tuned...more to come :)

6 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

I learned that pickle juice cures muscle cramps from a friend the other day!

David Yingling said...

I love the "what I learned" section and the more I hear from you about the book the more I want to go out and buy it.

Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) said...

Great summary, thanks for that. I may need to get this book. It sounds very enlightening.

NY Wolve said...

Very helpful. Thanks. I may go out and get the book. I actually put a post on Runners World asking for ideas why my heart rate went through the roof after a weight lift day. And everyone kind of mocked me and said Duh!

Elle said...

It is my first half marathon, and I am getting so nervous... I think my last two long runs really shook up my confidence, they didn't go as smoothly as I would have liked, but I keep telling myself that I know I prepared.... and all I am hoping to do is finish, so as long as I cross that finish line I've met my first goal!

Elle said...

Love this recap and I'm thinking of buying the book, of course I have about 17 books on my shelves at home that need to be read as well as half a dozen magazines.... but you know... a girl can hope to read one day!

PS Where do you find the time to read, with teaching, and taking care of the apartment and working out... girl you are like super woman!

Also, your readership is growing and expanding every day... I'm so excited for you :)