Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Marathon Training: Week 3 Results and Looking Ahead to Week 4

Training Plan Schedule
Week 3




Actual Runs
Sunday: 8 miles @ 8:25
Monday: REST
Tuesday: Pilates Reformer
Wednesday: 4.5 miles (Track)
Thursday: 6.01 miles @ 8:39
Friday: REST
Saturday: 16.86- Belmar 5 (tempo) + Long Run
Total Weekly Miles: 35.37
Training Plan Schedule
Week 4

My dad and I hit the track today for the 1000s workout. Fortunately, during our warm-up, my legs felt great! Really springy, although a bit like jello. Kind of like they should be sore or tired but weren't. Its how they usually feel when I take Magnesium supplements (which I did). Unfortunately, it was 95 degrees out. I really like the 1000 distance, even though it is hard. The first split felt the hardest. My splits got faster each time.

1~ 4:04 (6:27 pace)
2~ 4:02 (6:25)
3~ 3:57 (6:18)
*Interesting because I have run a couple of recent 5ks at around a 6:18 pace.

They seemed to be getting easier! We walked in between and after the 3rd split I had finished my water and went into the high school to refill my bottle. I drank a little more and we finished walking the 400. We started the 4th split and I got a terrible cramp. So bad, I could not run through it so I stopped after the 200. I planned to walk in out and at least finish 4 but my dad was not having it. It was really hot and he was concerned. We left and he got me a gatorade to drink. I'm not sure if I didn't drink enough or drank too much to get that cramp but the gatorade tasted great after the run. It was still a decent run, not really mileage wise but definitely speed/endurance wise. If you have never tried 1000s I urge you to do so...it is a really interesting distance! Actually, in this month's issue of Runner's World they advise doing 1000 repeats to train for a fast marathon while improving your speed across all shorter distances. I plan to make up the rest of the workout depending on how my "glute" feels. I have been icing and foam rolling and it feels better already. I am shooting for around 30 miles this week to give my body a chance to catch up.

Track Workout
3.21 miles
23:26 minutes
7:17 average pace
*Not counting walking RI.

Weekly Mileage
Week 1: 21.72
Week 2: 25
Week 3: 35.37

*I definitely increased my mileage too much from week 2 - week 3. This was not the smartest thing to do as you are only supposed to add 10% of your weekly mileage on to each week. Fortunately, my body usually handles additional mileage pretty well. I have more trouble with injuries when I do too much speed work. Go figure. Hopefully my body will forgive me :)

5 comments:

Heather Iacobacci-Miller said...

I'm tired just reading that! ;-)

All Things Jaime said...

You're increasing your long runs so quickly! WOW!!! 20 miles already. I have no doubt this will prepare you for Steamtown!!

Anonymous said...

you're gonna be ready for your marathon in no time!

Running and living said...

recent research on cramps shows that they have nothing to do with electrolytes/water; rather, cramps happen when your neuromuscular system is tired. i think runner's body addresses that, if not, check the author's website. great runs!

Anonymous said...

I think I"ll try 1000's! I usually go for 800's.