Any fun plans for the weekend? I will be heading to the Jersey Shore soon. Tomorrow I will be running the Belmar 5 (miler). I've never run this race but I was excited to do it because I hear it is flat and fast. Unfortunately, that speedy course will no longer matter much to me as I will no longer be racing it. This is something I have never done before but I know so many wonderful runners that do it so I am going to give it a shot. I plan to run tomorrow's race as a tempo run because this weekend I have to get my long run in. No excuses this time. Here's the thing though. I can't do the run on Sunday so I will be doing it tomorrow. Here is the plan *and please feel free to offer an advice on the topic*
2 mile warm up
5 mile race @ tempo pace (7:44)
as outlined in Run Less, Run Faster
stretch, drink water, etc.
10 miles easy
= a total of 17 miles
5 mile race @ tempo pace (7:44)
as outlined in Run Less, Run Faster
stretch, drink water, etc.
10 miles easy
= a total of 17 miles
Depending on how we feel I may have to drop it down to 15 miles (8 after the race) but I really hope I can complete the whole 17 without getting injured and get back on track. It is harder than I thought to train for an early fall marathon, simply because the summer is so busy! I just need to get through July because I am off for almost the entire month of August and should be able to keep up with all my runs and workouts in then!
Thoughts please!Does this even count as a 17-miler? Good idea? Bad? Stupid? Be honest!
Thoughts please!Does this even count as a 17-miler? Good idea? Bad? Stupid? Be honest!
4 comments:
You're good! I've known a lot of people that have run long runs like this! I think it's important that you keep the five miler at your 7:44ish pace, though. After your finished, take a short break and get started on the 10! Long runs are mostly about time on your feet ... 17 miles is 17 miles! :)
It absolutely counts! I'd say don't wait too long to do the 8-10 miles after the race bc your muscles will stiffen up. Good luck!
I agree, it so counts as a 17 miler and a more intense training run at that. Racing always taxes your body just a bit more than a more moderate paced long run. Good luck! Oh by the way, I found your blog from the Lady Blogger Tea Party and I can't wait to read more.
How did the race and potential 17 miler go? I know how it feels to run a race for "fun." I have a HARD time doing it. I'm just super competitive. With myself! And I have issues with slowing down for a race. I'm trying though! ;)
Post a Comment