Monday, July 19, 2010

Recovering and Boston


So this afternoon, after work I headed to the track to do the mile repeats on my training schedule:

3 x 1600 @ 6:41 w/ 1 min RI

It was 94 degrees and my dad and I head out to warm up on the path around the track. We started running and I just didn't feel right. Neither one of us did, really. My dad never planned to do the track workout, only a recovery run while I did speed work on the track. I had been looking forward to this run all day, but as soon as I started jogging, my left quad was screaming. I'm not sure if it is lingering soreness or just pain. Both quads had been a bit sore all day, but I was hoping a run would loosen them up. As soon as I started jogging I knew the track work was not happening today. We jogged a bit more then stopped to stretch and called it a day.

I know I did the right thing by not pushing it but I can't help but be disappointed. I really enjoyed the 20-miler this weekend *I know...those words shouldn't make sense together!* and I was really looking forward to this workout. It is so much more important to listen to your body, however. I just kept telling myself that it is only Monday. There are plenty of other opportunities to get to the track this week. It is more important to concentrate on feeling good and not get injured. Since the long run I have been feeling extra tired and extra hungry! I have been icing, foam rolling, fueling and resting to try to recover more quickly. I also have been taking a magnesium supplement to help aid recovery.

Fuel:

Banana Rasperry Smoothie

Dan and I broke out the Panini Maker!

So a week or two ago, the screen on my dad's phone broke. He is almost up for an upgrade and didn't want to buy a new phone so I gave him one of my old ones. *It is a baby blue chocolate and he so does not care!* Anyway, I had a bunch of old ring tones on that phone, Born to Run, etc. Different ones for different people, of course. *Funny how I don't care about that stuff now...* The default ring tone at the time was a song by Augustana called "Boston". I used to love that song and I think it is so ironic and now it has a totally different meaning, but still appropriate!

"I think (hope!) I'll go to Boston..."

5 comments:

Amber said...

94? And you were considering a track workout! Yuck!! Haha.

Good for you for listening to your body - no need to get fatigued or injured this early in the game!

All Things Jaime said...

Rest those legs! Injuries are no good!!! You'll get to the track later this week! It's amazing how much one day can make a difference.

Stephanie said...

Definitely rest when you need it, you don't want to be fighting an injury this early in training.

Running and living said...

I would not worry about that track session. I mean, you run 5Ks faster than those repeats. If you do it, though, try to keep the pace as is, even if you can go faster. Your body is adjusting to the long runs, so no need to push the speed. You are going to Boston, I bet!

Robyn said...

Ugh this heat stinks. But man does that panini make me wanna go out and buy a maker. The cheese oozing, my goodness!