Thank you for all the comments on me halfway reflections post. I just wanted to follow up with a few comments and answer some questions I got. First of all, I think I was a little unclear about a few things.
1.) I really love this plan. I know I didn't sound too enthusiastic before, but only because I was adding up mileage from the previous 8 weeks and it is so low! I read about so many wonderful bloggers running all these miles and I get a little jealous. What I failed to emphasize on the last post, was that right now, for me speed > distance. Maybe I should not have analyzed the first half of training in terms of mileage, but rather intensity...
2.) There is a reason you only run 3 days a week...the plan is hard! It would be impossible and risky to run 6 days a week while following this plan. Every time you head out for a run it is a hard one! But I like that...I look forward to the runs because they are all different and they all have a purpose. I like having a goal pace to hit.
Some questions I received:
Robyn asked: Do you think if you could start again you'd go with a different kind of training plan?
No, definitely not! I am really enjoying following this plan. I will probably use a different plan for my next marathon, but I would use this one again and I will definitely follow some of the FIRST plans for shorter distances, specifically the 1/2 marathon plan because I want to get my time down.
Adam L. asked: I'd be curious at the end of your training whether or not you felt the FIRST program gave you enough miles to effectively run a marathon. I'm feeling the effects of running 5 or more days a week, and it may be better in the future to run less often!
This plan definitely works!
Running and living said... As you know I followed FIRST and did the low mileage thing and ran a 3:44 on the tough Boston course on my first marathon (and BQed). So the plan works!
I will give a full review after I run the marathon, however, this is a legitimate and well researched plan. It is definitely not the best plan for everyone but for many people it IS the best plan. One of the other things that works so well about this plan is that I am training with my Dad. Being that one of the 3 workouts each week takes place on the track, we are able to run "together" but at our own paces. For the tempo run, we warm up together, then run on a loop. I am able to go ahead, when necessary, and we meet back at the start of the tempo to cool down/stretch together. The long run is a little trickier...I would definitely recommend this program to anyone who needs to emphasize rest/recovery or even just for people with time constraints.
Also, FYI, the FIRST plan assigns 5- 20 milers over the course of 16 weeks. In Advanced Marathoning, an 18 week plan, that peaks at 55 miles only assigns 3- 20 milers, and the 12 week version of this plan only assigns 2. I am not saying this is bad, I am saying that FIRST makes up for the weekly mileage in other ways.
Amber (Girl with the red hair) asked: Out of curiosity, what is the highest weekly mileage you hit?
Since, mileage isn't emphasized, there is no prescribed or set mileage to hit each week. Instead, they assign the workout plus a "10-20 minute warm-up," "10 min cool down," etc. That being said, the highest mileage is right around 33-35 depending on the warm ups and cool downs. With my added recovery run, I will probably hit 40 miles or close to it for 1 or 2 weeks but I don't think this is recommended.
On to the Tempo Run...
The Workout:
1 mile warm up
4 miles @ 7:29 pace
1 mile cool down
Stats:
6.36 miles
49:45 minutes
7:49 pace
5:40 best pace
Splits
1.5 mile warm up (8:28, 8:48)
4 Mile Tempo: 7:18, 7:26, 7:14, 7:23
Cool Down: 8:38
I am in the middle of reading Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger. In it, he supplies a table of heart rate intensities for various training workouts. For a Lactate Threshold run (tempo run), heart rate should fall between 82-91% of HR Max.
Average Heart Rate: 84% HR Max
Heart Rate Max: 98% HR Max
Pretty Close! I want to start paying more attention to my HR, especially when training in this ridiculous heat.
Questions: How many 20+ milers do you usually run when training for a marathon? How many weeks do you train for?
Steamtown will be my 2nd marathon, but for Philly, I ran 4- 20+ mile runs (3- 20s and 1- 23) and this time I hope to run 5. Both times I followed 16 week plans.
3 comments:
Great book. I always keep it out. Especially now that I'm following one of his plans for the first time! ;)
I'm finding these posts really interesting. Since I'm injury-prone, when I'm running high mileage like during marathon training it's better for me to only run 4 times a week. Even then, my injury-prone body rebels sometimes.
I think my BODY likes it best when I only run 3 times a week (even though my MIND likes it when I'm running 4-5x/week!)
Goodness, girl .. the more I read your posts, the more I think I need to be on this plan! My current plan has a tempo run, track workout and long run (with lots of goal marathon paces) plus two easy 6-8 milers. Those easy runs are typically done with the group and at a faster than easy pace ... which leaves me sore, exhausted and fatigued for the runs that matter! UGH!
To answer your question: I've run four marathons and have only ever run two 20 mile runs during each. Typically, the first is a 20 miler, the second is a 22 miler.
Post a Comment